Screen at front wall

Hi There,

We have been in our property about three years and we have planted cherry trees and japanese maples at intervals along our front wall. We're now looking for filler plants to screen our front garden from the main road. The front wall is only two feet tall so I'm looking for a variety of plants about 4-5ft tall that provide year round screening and interest.

Any suggestions would be really appreciated.

Thanks so much.

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 15,316

Could you say which way the garden faces? And how much space there is between each tree? And the type of soil (dry, waterlogged etc) and roughly where you live?image

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • AnneGGAnneGG Posts: 4

The garden faces south east, trees are about two metres apart and the soil is probably closer to waterlogged than dry as we live in the west of Ireland so limestone underneath! Thanks image

Weigela (the variegated one is nice), ceanothus, viburnum, hydrangea?

• YviestevieYviestevie Kingswinford, West MidlandsPosts: 4,874

Is Ceanothus Californian Lilac.  If so, I dont think it likes it too wet, prefers a dry sunnyspot, same as california.

Hi from Kingswinford in the West Midlands

You might be right, Yvie. Nobody told mine and it doesn't know about that yet. I'll keep my fingers crossed.image

• Any white hydrangea.  I have Annabelle out at the moment and it is wonderful.  The paniculata ones are beautiful too.  They blend in with their neighbours and the landscape. 

Thanks a million for all your great ideas! I googled the variegated Weigela and its beautiful. Do you know how much it dies back in wintertime? Will it still act as a screen when the leaves fall off?

It does lose its leaves but it is quite a twiggy plant, especially if it is kept pruned to size and shape, so after a few years it becomes quite dense.

I have a large-flowered clematis wandering through mine which adds to the colour and the flowering season.

• hogweedhogweed Central ScotlandPosts: 3,947

Try Pittosporum - it is evergreen and a nice plant or an osmanthus (holly like). A trip to the garden centre I think and have a look at medium sized shrubs. A lot of them would do well in your spot. It's just a case of finding ones you like.

'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller

Thanks so much for all your help. Made a trip to the garden centre yesterday and came home with two Viburnum Tinus, one hardy fuchsia and a variegated Weigela. image