Forum home Talkback

Honeysuckle

Caz8Caz8 Posts: 68

Does anyone know a way to get rid of mildew, and when to do it?

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 79,451

Prevention is better than cure - mildew attacks when the honeysuckle is under stress, usually because of dryness at the roots.  It needs lots of water regularly - give the roots a good soaking in hot weather - honeysuckle likes it's roots to be in the damp and the shade.  

Once the honeysuckle has got a bad attack of mildew there is no treatment that I know of that will cure the affected leaves.  I let those leaves die off - if you improve the conditions at the roots it will soon grow new shoots and leaves.

I recently bought a reduced price honeysuckle from the 'nearly dead' section in the garden centre - the watering had been neglected and although it looked healthy when I bought it within a few days it had succumbed to powdery mildew and lost most of its leaves - now, with plenty of water at it's roots (at least a bucket full every day in this dry weather, taking care that it soaks in and doesn't run off the surface) it's growing healthy new leaves. image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh