Forum home Problem solving

Perennial lobelias

Can anyone explain to me why my Lobelia Victoria grows beautifully every year yet not far away from it a Lobelia Fan Scarlet gets constantly stripped of all leaves so I just have stems left.??

This happens every year...what is eating them ??..I'm on the south coast so my garden is bone dry this year ( and last) so I don't think it can be slugs...I've never seen their slimy trail nearby.

• FleurisaFleurisa Posts: 779

That's funny because my Queen Victoria was the one the slugs and snail really went for rather than the fanfare series one

• Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge WearsidePosts: 3,368

Same as Fleurisa, my Queen Vic one was reduced to some hollowed out stems although I've got a bit of new growth now I've rescued it. It looked like the tree trunks you see remaining after a volcano. It will be slugs or snails as Verdun says.

I don't know what type my other one is apart from it does alright in the dry, but there's not a mark on itimage

• IamweedyIamweedy Cheshire East. Posts: 1,364
    I have lost lobelia Russian Princess to last winter, probably slugs and the beast from the east as well. Over time I have put down all sorts of slug deterrents with little sucess. Putting them in pots did help a bit. 

'You must have some bread with it me duck!'

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 32,416
    I planted alternating clumps of Victoria and Russian Princess last year. Victoria gone in days, RP, ignored totally.
    Devon.
  • punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 11,987
    Queen Victoria is a nightmare with slugs, but I have found various other perennial Lobelias to be fine.
    Consequences, altered cases
    Broken noses, altered faces
    My ego altered, altered egos
    Wherever I go, so does me go
  • I've had great success with Lobelia Tania and Lobelia Tania Sister. Slugs and snail do not seem to attack them in the past 
  • Papi JoPapi Jo Brittany, France Posts: 3,577
    Must say I've been very disappointed with Lobelia x speciosa ‘Fan Blau’. Planted 3 specimens back in 2014, which looked lovely for 2 years and have totally disappeared now. :(
    You are invited to a virtual visit of my garden (in English or in French).
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 20,593
    I’ve grown Lobelia Tupa from seeds, slugs haven’t touched them.
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor.