Newbie plea for help!

Hi all,

I have quite a large tree at the bottom of my garden and a bare area underneath - it's probably 3 metres wide and 1 deep.  It's an area between a recently planted laurel hedge (currently about half a metre tall) and the tree.  The weeds are loving it, however I'd prefer to plant some pretty things there that will encourage bees and butterflies.  I'm quite keen to have something growing into the tree, perhaps a honeysuckle of some kind, but I don't want to damage the tree. I'd like the area to be quite low-maintenance, more of a wild garden really.  

Do you have any suggestions of British flowers?  I have two very mischievous cats who enjoy eating plants...so nothing toxic to cats please! 

Thank you in advance image

• bekkie hughesbekkie hughes Posts: 5,294
    Hi image

Not sure about the cat thing as ive never had my own! image

You could grow catnip/nepeta, very pretty and very popular at the moment, honeysuckle is lovely and no trouble to grow, i wouldnt think it would harm your tree, but it can be cut back if it gets too big, you could also train a rambling rose up the tree.

Phacelia tanetifolia is a favorite of mine as it seems to grow anywhere and wildlfe seem to love it, wild dasies are another one which will grow with very little care (the big ones/3ft tall), let me know if you want any dasies or phacelia, have collected plenty of seed image
  • nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 25,198

I assume it's quite shady in there?

Alliaria petiolata, Jack by the hedge is a good biennial, food plant for the orange tip butterfly larvae, foxgloves would be good but are poisonous. Primroses, snowdrops, pulmonaria. There is a native pulmonaria but the usual ones found in GCs are fine.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 48,986

We have foxgloves all over the garden and I've had them in many gardens - cats have never eaten it, neither have dogs or even goats, surprisingly enough!

"...tea and toasted buttered currant buns, can't compensate for lack of sun because the summer's all gone..."   Autumn Almanac - Ray Davies