Forum home Wildlife gardening

What on earth are they up to........?

...and I've seen and heard them crackling through the dry leaves in the evening and this morning one (huge) was boldly crossing the road on our estate.  Tonight I was just having a look round the garden before locking up for the night when I heard this snuffling and shuffling behind me.  I thought it was the OH joining me in the garden but when I turned round - he wasn't there - eery.  But I did sense a presence and saw the plants move.  I crept over keeping a safe distance because I hadn't a clue what i was going to see and there was a hedgehog snuffling and appearing to be digging at the ground - on closer inspection - there were two of them.  One was huge and the other obviously the child.  I backed off to watch without disturbing them and they continued for ages.  Sometimes they looked as if they were fighting or tugging at something.  It was very strange.  It was a bit dark to take photos or video them but I've never seen anything like it. (ps realise I haven't given the most impressive impression of OH - he is not given to snuffling or shuffling around the garden as a general ruleimage

• Alina WAlina W Posts: 1,445

Is the "child" large? It could be that it's reached the stage where the parent is trying to persuade it to  leave home?

• BamboogieBamboogie Posts: 239

I've noticed an increased presence of hedgehogs recently as well. We went over 4 wk without rain, so now it's back the increase in slugs and snails activity has probably drawn them out I guess image.

• Lily PillyLily Pilly Central southern Scotland Posts: 3,845
    We have been here 9 years and regularly see a huge hedgehog. We are amazed at how fast he can travel and how much of our garden gate he is eating to get in!nWe know where he hibernates and were interested to see how early he woke up this year! But we never see him with his family. He can't be alone can he?
    Weeds are flowers, too, once you get to know them.”
    A A Milne
  • LavandeLavande Posts: 171

It's difficult to say Alina, I wouldn't have said so but the adult was so big it could have looked small by comparison.  So do you think the parent would take it out and away from its home and then leave it?  Gosh that's tough love - because they did look as if they were tussling. I know they have to learn to survive though - I wish I hadn't watched now image

• LavandeLavande Posts: 171

Ooh that's a possibility maybe he was showing the child how to get the snails - there are plenty of those in my garden - that's a more pleasing option.  Yes, they walk fast - almost like hovercrafts the way they rise up and speed along. I don't think yours will be alone because more often than not I just see mine out on his own - although a couple of years ago we had three wandering around evening after evening.  I'm assuming the big one is a he but it could be the mum.image

• Lily PillyLily Pilly Central southern Scotland Posts: 3,845
    Glad you think he (or maybe she?) is not alone! Makes me feel better!!
    Weeds are flowers, too, once you get to know them.”
    A A Milne
  • Alina WAlina W Posts: 1,445

Lavande, they can fight when the parent it chasing them away, yes.

They also make a lot of noise.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 71,728

We get several regulars in our garden, usually at different times of the night but sometimes there are a few here at the same time. 

Hedgehogs aren't really social creatures - they meet up for mating purposes, but they don't pair up in families.  If they meet up with another hog whilst on their night time travels they tend to regard each other with suspicion, circling around each other and snuffling a lot.  They sometimes wake us up with all their huffing and puffing.  

At this time of year there are adults and smaller independent youngsters out and about.  There may also still be new litters being born.

A shallow bowl of fresh water in the garden can be a real lifesaver for hedgehogs in dry spells like the one we've just had.  

Lots of info here http://www.hedgehogstreet.org/forum/index.php?tid=2753 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh