Forum home Plants

perenial seeds

merlotmerlot Posts: 25

Hello folks,  I would like to sow perennial seeds directly into the soil, i think I have the ground well prepared (lots of fym I know the local farmer). The area i want to cover is about 3 mtrs x 3mtrs on a very steep slope. 

Here comes the tricky part.

1   Fully grown plants 40 cm high.

2  Winter / spring interest would be nice.

3  Ground cover ?  some but not excessive.

4  A few small shrubs would also be ok.

I am open to all ideas as my mind goes blank every time I look at that area of garden .

Cheers................Merlot.

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,160

I wouldn't, unless you have a free supply of lots of seeds.

There's a real danger of them being swamped by weeds. Some perennials, sown now, will germinate in spring. Weeds will germinate every day between now and spring.

and perennials are much slower than annuals, a few flower the first year from seed but most don't. that leaves more time to be swamped

If you have got plenty of seeds then throw them at the slope, some will come through

• merlotmerlot Posts: 25

Ok thanks, I think I will stick to shrubs and maybe some bulbs.

Cheers..................merlot.

• bekkie hughesbekkie hughes Posts: 5,294
    Why not sow a green manure now? It will give you something to look at and help to keep the weeds down until spring (depending on where you live and how harsh the winter is).

There are lots of perennials/ biennials you can sow now, but like Nut said, its not a great idea to sow them in open ground, you can do them in pots.

Ive done perennial cornflower, campanula, lupins, foxgloves, i could go on and on, the best thing to do is have a look on the thompson and morgan or crocus website, i know you can do a specific search for perennial seeds, this is a great time to sow lots of perennials etc image
  • merlotmerlot Posts: 25

Hello, sorry about the delay answering but my laptop has been in for repair. Thanks for your advice. I am going to Southport flower show this weekend so I might get some ideas, I am now thinking about dwarf conifers and alpines.

Cheers...................Merlot.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • star gaze lilystar gaze lily Posts: 14,426

Hollie hock, I have just recieved a email from GW saying you have sent me a PM. I'm really sorry but I can never read my PMs. Is there another way to get in contact. A couple of people have my email. I could perhaps one of them to send it to you via a PM. 

• Hi Hollie Hock.  I'm planning to sow perennials in my greenhouse this winter.  most packets recommended sowing from feb into spring.  Are you saying with a greenhouse for overwintering,  I could get them going in coming months rather than waiting til February?

• star gaze lilystar gaze lily Posts: 14,426

Hi hollie hock out today but will try to get in touch later

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,160

Hi Snoodle, which perennials are you growing, some need to be chilled to break dormancy. Astrantias, aquilegias, aconitums, clematis, all germinate much more reliably if the have a cold spell.

Lots of other too.

Have a look at this, http://theseedsite.co.uk/   on germination.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.