Forum home Talkback

Got Big Courgettes. Recipes, please!

hi!

My plot neighbour suggested I make soup with the whopping great courgettes I have ATM.

Seems like a good idea, any one have a good tasty recipe they'd like to share?

• artjakartjak Posts: 4,167

BBC Good Food had 10 courgette recipes the other week.

I had a large white courgette this week and did this;

Set oven to 180, butter a largeish oven proof dish,

Slice tomatoes and cover base of dish.

Slice courgette and place in a layer, Slice 3 or 4 large spring onions and a good handful of fresh herbs, sprinkle these over courgette.

Do 2 more layers as above. whisk 7 or 8 eggs with salt and pepper and pour on. Grate some cheese or slice cold boiled potatoes, enough for one layer, then some cheese.

Place in oven for about 50 minutes, checking to see top does not burn and that all the egg has set.

Serve hot or cold.image

• MelspadMelspad Posts: 73

Look up courgette, potato and cheese soup - truly delicious and freezes well.

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 11,337

Cut in half lengthways and stuff with a mixture of finely chopped tomatoes, garlic, herbs, black pepper, olive oil, bacon and cheese, topped-off with a sprinkling of breadcrumb/grated cheese mixture.  Bake for 30-40 minutes.  Delicious!  You can substitute any number of these ingredients but the cheese and bacon provide salt, otherwise you'll need to add some as oversize courgettes are pretty much tasteless, like marrows (to which they are closely related, so also google "marrow recipes".)

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • Great! thanks for those. I took them off the plant about 2 weeks ago. How long do they keep for? I currently have them in a cool dark dry cupboard. should I refrigerate or keep them where they are?

• artjakartjak Posts: 4,167

I would cook them ASAP then freeze the cooked dish if you don't need it straight awayimage

• steephillsteephill Posts: 2,483

2 weeks old? image I would send them to the compost bin.

• oops! so its a case of cut'em and cook'em? 

• Steve 309Steve 309 Posts: 2,753

Once courgettes have got to marrow size and developed thick, hard skins, they'll keep for ages as long as they're not damaged.  Someone I know keeps them all winter.  Cut them with plenty of stalk.

• Lily PillyLily Pilly Central southern Scotland Posts: 3,845

One of the best soups I have ever made was using up courgette! Sweat off as many as you have with chopped onion, add a good stock ( veg or chicken) once cooked crumble in left over Stilton, as much or as little as you have. Blend, serve and sit back for compliments!

Weeds are flowers, too, once you get to know them.”
    A A Milne
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 11,337
    Steve 309 wrote (see)

Once courgettes have got to marrow size and developed thick, hard skins, they'll keep for ages as long as they're not damaged.  Someone I know keeps them all winter.  Cut them with plenty of stalk.

Fully agree Steve - I always have a few which become 'marrows' and they last for months once the skin has hardened. image

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.