small tree suggestions please

I want to put a SMALL tree against a north facing 6ft high fence that my neighbours have put up. Can  anyone suggest options I can consider, please.  I wouldn't want it to grow taller than 10 ft. I like Rowan, but they grow much too big!  Thank you for any adv ice, Maggie

• LilylouiseLilylouise Posts: 1,014

I would suggest an Amelanchier,  Maggie image

Pam x

• North facing aspect may be a problem but try either a laburnum vossii or perhaps one of the smaller varieties of crab apple.  Nice leaf colour on some varieties in spring and autumn combined with fruit and flower in the spring/ autumn winter.  I have recently planted several trees bought from hilliers at £40 each.  Nice selection and they do mail order as well.

• My first thought would be Amelanchier, mainly because I'd love one, but would have to wait till my neighbour's Rowan goes belly up. Lovely as the Rowan is, it is a bit big for the size of the garden. I think A. canadensis is a bit smaller than A.lamarkii, but they're both lovely. The RHS website says they'd be fine against a north wall.

The Laburnum vossii does look lovely though and not too big at 7m. Re the Crab apples Malus John Downie is lovely. Acer griseum too could be a good choice. Lots of choices! 

• weejennyweejenny Posts: 391

What about a sambucus nigra (black Elder) it says it can grow to 8 metres but not with me, you can prune it. It is very fast growing so you could have the height you want quickly. They root very easily from cuttings too

• ObelixxObelixx Posts: 10,626

Have a look at Ptelia Trifoliata Aureum which has golden foliage in spring and  scented flowers.  http://www.bluebellnursery.com/catalogue/trees/Ptelea/P/2210 It can be grown as a shrub or small tree which will get, slowly, to 15' but has a light airy canopy.  Insects love the flowers.  I saw it in a garden I visited and have just ordered one to be collected from Wisley plant centre in a couple of weeks.

You could also consider a Tibetan cherry which is slow growing  to about 15' in 20 years - http://www.mailordertrees.co.uk/Prunus+serrula+%27Tibetica%27+%28Birch+Bark+Cherry+Tree%29/0_caaa102_caaa133/PRAA192.htm?page=Prunus_serrula_'Tibetica'_(Birch_Bark_Cherry_Tree) and has wonderful bark for winter interest.

I have both golden and purple/black leaved forms of sambucus.  I find the golden form does best as a shrub but have been able to cut out the lower branches of the Black Lace form to raise its canopy and make a small tree in my woodland corner.   I did this in autumn 2010 and it's looking great.  

I've done the same with a viburnum Bodnantense Dawn which provides scented flowers in early spring.  It does take a few years though before these shrubs are big enough to train as small trees.

The Vendée, France
  • staffsmagsstaffsmags Posts: 224

Thats wonderful help, everyone. Thanks very much.  Maggie