Japanese Anenomes

YviestevieYviestevie Kingswinford, West MidlandsPosts: 4,002

Im pretty sure there is already a thread about these plants somewhere but I have just spent a few hourse digging up pink anenomes from my garden.  The flowers are beautiful but I cant seem to control them in my garden.  I dont for a moment think I have seen the last of them but would be grateful for advice on how best to control them.  Failing that I will be hitting some sort of systematic week killer as they are becoming a real problem.  The white one I have doesnt seem such a thug.

Hi from Kingswinford in the West Midlands

• LynLyn Posts: 8,402

You coud dig a trench around what you want to keep and put plastic sheeting down to stop the roots travelling.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 
  • Alina WAlina W Posts: 1,445

A good idea from Lyn.

I cut down into the ground a few inches beyond the plant with a spade to its full length every few weeks - that means that any new runners are easy to remove if they've managed to escape.

Otherwise, a deep bottomless tub buried level with he ground's surface also works.

• BerghillBerghill Posts: 2,827

Well, weed killer does not, that's for sure. Just discovered a new set of growth on one which has been treated with Glyphosate for the last 5 years. Must have had a gallon of the undiluted stuff on it in that time.

• I planted mine in  a  pot and it has not escaped (yet) in fact  it seems to controlled .image

• YviestevieYviestevie Kingswinford, West MidlandsPosts: 4,002

Guess Ill just have to keep digging the bits up.  Has anyone had any problem with the white one or is it just the pink.

• YviestevieYviestevie Kingswinford, West MidlandsPosts: 4,002

One other thing does it have deep roots.

• My Mum loves these plants, she keeps offering us some....so far we've resisted, I can't stand them.

They are taking over every corner of her garden, they are everywhere & her garden is about 1/4 acre

She offers them to anyone who visits her!!

She's 85 and if they accept her offer, they have to dig them out image

Most of hers are white although I think that a fair few started out pink.

• Alina WAlina W Posts: 1,445

I find that the white one is just as much of a spreader once it's established.