Forum home Plants

Veronica Tissington white - advice on looking after it

I need some advice on how to encourage this plant to fill out please.

I would think that I have had it over 8 years and it was a very decent clump with pretty white flowers giving good ground cover.

Its not done very well in recent years as it grows in the shade of the big tree in my garden (see previous post from today).

Also I hadn't done much gardening this year until the last few weeks and the veronica was still covered in the leaves the fell last autumn from the trees in my garden.

The plant appear to be growing very near to the surface. This might sound a bit thick but I not sure if its the roots laying on the surface or floppy stems.

This week I have tried to break up the soil around the plant and put some of the compost from my compost bin around it.

One part broke off so I potted it up to see if that would encourage more growth. That one still looks a bit floppy.

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,877

I think you've answered this one yourself Rosieimage

shade of tree, covered in leaves, roots exposed.

If that bit you've potted up had some root it will be fine, keep it out of the sun til it's established. If you've got a shady place to dig up a bit more and pot it up it will grow away well and you can replant in a better place come autumn/winter/spring

• Thanks for the advice and reassurance. I used to ask my mum for gardening advice.

Just found this photo of what it used to look like taked in 2009.

Its such a pretty plant and it would be a shane to lose it.

As you might guess from my previous posts I am tidying up this corner of my garden. A little bit at a time otherwise its too big a job.

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 49,182

They tend to prefer more sun Rosie, so hopefully you can get it all out and find somewhere more suitable for it image

Whites and foliage plants are great for brightening up those awkward shady areas under trees so there will be lots of other options for that spot. The Brunnera you already have there is ideal for just that kind of situation, and what looks like a Euonymous - sneaking in on the left hand side of the pic - will also be happy, so you've already got some ideal plants.

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,286

That tree's probably grown a bit since the photo was taken, and it'll be casting more shade and the ground underneath it will be drier now. 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• YviestevieYviestevie Kingswinford, West MidlandsPosts: 6,899

Ive just dug up a clump of Tissington to plant elsewhere and the roots aren't very deep, mine is doing well but it does get a fair amount of sunshine even though it is quite close to a tree.

Hi from Kingswinford in the West Midlands
  • Thanks for all your comments. I'll be looking for a better spot for the veronica in my garden.

• Hello

I took all your advice and dug up some of the veronica and planted it in a trough using compost from my compost bin (all I had left). It's doing really well in just three weeks.

So thanks again for the advice.

• If I remember correctly Kef has this plant too.