Forum home Tools and techniques

Storing seeds

I've just had some seeds delivered in one of those very small sealed plastic bags. Is it ok to leave them there or should I transfer them to a paper bag?   

• sotongeoffsotongeoff Posts: 9,802

I had some earlier in the year from Premier Seeds just sowed what I wanted and resealed it-that was 6 months ago and just had a look- the seeds are still loose -nothing has rotted-so I would leave them in the plastic bags

• Gracie5Gracie5 Posts: 125

I've only recently started to seed sow and I always wondered whether I should leave them in the plastic bags, I always thought they should be in paper bags. Thanks for that, I will leave them where they are image

• little-annlittle-ann Posts: 878

i was told seeds are best stored cold and dry.

i keep mine in a plastic box with some of those little desiccant packets that come in packages with electrical  goods, cameras etc in the bottom of the fridge

• B & Q were selling off a seed box(about 6"x5"x4") recently for about £3, so I snapped it up. Although it didn't have any dividers it serves it's purpose & again, I keep mine in the garage fridge.

If I haven't got brown paper bags, I've used the prepaid envelopes companies send me with correspondence. Haven't had any problems with seed sowing as a result.