Forum home Talkback

Brown rot on victoria plum tree

Please, please help me, am a new Gardener/allotmenteer with a 12' Victoria Plum Tree.  In September 2013 took on an established allotment 5mins from home, thought I could observe things growing for the first year to see how things went, well anyway, this year place a pheromone trap in tree as I read that's what u have to do to control plum fly.

The tree has produced a shed load of fruit but recently noticed them going brown, a few days ago realised things were NOT good when discovered this unsightly mess on some fruits, with a bit of research discovered BROWN ROT!

I have removed diseased fruits now, but am concerned as quite a lot seem to be showing signs.  

My question is if I remove ALL fruits can I salvage some and are they edible when ripe or will I have to destroy all? Please help am devastated by this, so soul destroying.

• thank you, will do

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 79,557

If there are fruits that are partially damaged, you can salvage the undamaged portions and use them for plum chutney or even a delicious Chinese style plum sauce http://eatingrichly.com/09/traditional-chinese-plum-sauce-from-scratch/ - I've done this and it was fine.

Good luck image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Hold on, Buttercupthistle......it's all getting a bit muxed up. image

Now, there is no connection between brown rot and using pheromone traps. Pheromone traps are an aid to controlling plum moths.....the maggots of witch infest the plums themselves. These traps give out a pheromone mimicking the female moth and attract the male moth (seeking a mate) to their doom.

You may notice that the yellow sticky pad is marked into squares, this is so you can measure the amount of moths around and adjust the spray accordingly.....it's all in the instructions.....so not a cure as such. 

Now brown rot - to save my time, this is taken from the RHS guide to the problem:

1  Control brown rot fungus starting in the late summer or early fall. Remove all diseased fruit that has fallen to the ground as well as fruit mummies and any cankered pieces on the tree itself. It is also beneficial to remove diseased branches in the winter when the tree is dormant. Dispose of diseased pieces immediately in a garbage container.

2 Prune trees to create better air circulation, which will discourage the growth of brown rot fungus. When watering plum trees, use low sprinklers that will not hit tree flowers, fruit and foliage, as this can create optimal conditions for the fungus to flourish.

3 Apply a synthetic fungicide or one that contains copper if you are concerned about brown rot fungus affecting your plum trees in the springtime. Follow the manufacturer's directions for exact application instructions. Spray fungicide while the trees are still in their pink bud stage for the fungicide to work best.

Hope that helps. image

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 20,554

Excellent advice, David K, but I am somewhat alarmed to read the words "fall" and "garbage" coming from the Royal Horticultural Society's guide.

I thought that the Americans had rid themselves of anything "royal" way back in 1776. Or has the RHS been sold off to the Yanks? image

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • Profound apologies, I've just looked back at the source of my googled information and it wasn't the RHS....Buddyboy is quite right and I should have known better.....so much for being idle & trying to save time. image

Please ignore my comments in the second part of my reply of 10.06.

Pansy, this would explain the word 'fall'.

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 20,554

Ah, now I understandimage

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • Thing is, pansy, I very rarely google for gardening information, but on this occasion I thought a quick cut n' paste would save time. image

• I have the same on my plum and greengage, I forgot to put an oil rag round the trunk to stop pests but it seems pretty bad this year ,a lot of flies about!image