Birdsong

Did anyone else notice the bird singing away in the background in Monty's garden on last night's GW programme? I have noticed it before and wondered what bird it is. Does anyone know?

• Hi Forester2, yep I notice it every time it's on, it's songthrush image

• Forester2Forester2 Posts: 1,477

Thank you Magical Meerkat - a bird I don't often hear now to know what it sounds like.  I have spotted the odd one in the garden but they don't stay -  they probably fly up the road to Monty's.

• That's ok. Yeah sadly not many people get the chance to hear them anymore due to their decline. image I heard one for the first time in my garden a few weeks ago, a beautiful sound.

• TEGTEG Posts: 1

It's very annoying and not natural as it seems to be layed over the normal sound track. Just like enforced "music" over documentries.

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 15,234

You're right TEG, thats what they do, theres no way that amount of sung thrushes would be so close as that, there's a filming crew of at least six people buzzing around.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 58,414

But that's how you make a tv programme image you don't want the extraneous sounds that the camera crew, director etc make - and the microphones are directional and won't pick up sounds from further away such as birdsong, so you make a sound recording in the location and lay it over.   image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• HippophaeHippophae Posts: 139

Makes me think of that book by Rachel Carson called "Silent Spring"

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 16,149

Our song thrushes stopped singing weeks ago.image

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.