Forum home Talkback

Coverage of Hampton Court Flower Show

• LovetogardenLovetogarden Posts: 756

I thought the programme was, dare I say it, a bit boring. I was going to write about the cost of the gardens but then thought no, just try and enjoy the programme for what it is, beautiful instant gardens and a few glimpses of the floral marque. I wish we could see more of the growers who supply the plants for these garden, they have had a nightmare year and are deserving of a bigger part of the show. Who are the people who decide the shows content? they seem to think that the show gardens are the be all and end all, yes they are very nice but a little more of everything else would be good.

I am looking forward to seeing the bit about bees tonight, hope to pick up a few more ideas the encourage more wildlife to the garden.Lets hope we get to see more plants and flowers, that what it should be about.

Anyway I will still watch the programme this evening, and no doubt enjoy itimage.

• Pippin4Pippin4 Posts: 63

I haven't seen the programmes but was at the Show on Wednesday and thought the gardens were better this year.  I liked the fact that they were not too 'contemporary/architectural' in style and had lots of soft diverse planting.  The smaller gardens showed what could be achieved in the average tiny suburban plot - the cost would be much less if recycled/salvaged materials were used and of course far less plants as the show gardens have to look as full as possible whereas we could wait a full season for the plants to fill out.

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 22,759

For me there's nearly always too much hard landscaping in the show gardens and this is where most of the expense lies.  I'd much rather have flower beds and grass and a veggie plot than all that paving and pool stuff. 

If we all worked out the cost of our gardens , even without including them as a proportion of the cost of our house, plus all the time and money we spend on them each year and the current value of our bigger plants like shrubs and trees rather than their purchase cost I don't expect we'd be far adrift.   I know that when we left Harrow I took with me an acer in a pot that had cost me £25 to buy.   6 or 7  years later and careful nurture made it the same size as one they were selling in the same garden centre for £750.

Unfortunately it didn't survive the winters here but I've found some that do.   Add the value of what I've lost to hard winters to what's left and surviving and even thriving and the sums soon add up.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • dizzylizzydizzylizzy Posts: 91

Hi

TV is now full of repeats and more repeats but why isn't Gardeners World repeated?  I would love to see some of the older episodes....

• I am going to Hampton court flower show tomorrow, really looking forward to it although I think I will get rained on at somepoint!!!!
  • Gary HobsonGary Hobson Posts: 1,892

From the Friday night show, the most memorable (and innovative and useful) idea was the pot of nettles placed in the middle of the flower bed. Brilliant!

If you don't already have any nettles, possibly because you live in an urban environment, you can buy seeds by mail order from various wildflower stockists.

• LovetogardenLovetogarden Posts: 756

I thought Friday nights show was the most informative and enjoyable. The man who spoke on companion planting was very interesting. I had no idea that lovage did so much good, need to find out more. Has anybody got any more tips. We have always used marigolds in the garden and greenhouse, and grown basil in the greenhouse too.. As for nettles we have a few, but they always seem to pop up in the flower borders just waiting to get you.image

Perhaps Monty will expand on the subject when Gardeners World eventually returns!!!

• LowennaLowenna Posts: 88

I'm not really into wildlife gardening ( I live in the depths of the countryside and wildlife is rampant image ) but it seems to be the topic of choice at the moment. Thought the programmes have been interesting but can't wait for GW to return

• Pippin4Pippin4 Posts: 63

Yes, Gardeners' World - we miss you!  The only good gardening programme on TV and it has to be set aside for sports coverage.  Bearing in mind that one is usually either a sports lover or a gardener, this is hardly fair!  I also agree that some repeats of older programmes would be good - I have only been back in the UK for a year after spending many years in South Africa so have missed many years of GW programmes.

• I live in the countryside Lowenna but unfortunately it's a bit of a desert as far as wildlife is concerned.  Most of the hedgerows are gone, the herbicides and pesticides used on crops have a habit of spreading further than field boundaries, wiping out many of the wildflowers, people dump their rubbish anywhere out of sight, housing developments creep into greenbelt.  In the villages people pave and tarmac over their gardens, they plant sterile bedding plants, fence off their gardens like prisons, use chemicals to control anything they don't like, let their cats roam about without collars with bells.....the list is endless, and I could rant for hours.
    All this aside, whether we want wildlife venturing into our gardens or not, without pollinating insects such as bees, we're facing major problems in food production on a global scale.
    It's taken SO long for the horticultural industry to get the message (or at least to share that message), and though it's a bit late in the day, it's not too late to do something. So I say, keep banging on about gardening for wildlife, it's vital that people get the message.