Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Another bushy-shrubby unknown.

Dear Forum Members,

Can anyone identify this shrub please? I’ve tried to take useful photos – i hope they’re helpful. Also, does anyone have any good pruning advice in order to get it to be a more compact shrub and therefore better for privacy? It’s currently 2m in height, but not dense enough so not a great privacy screen.

Many many thanks!

The Grateful Deadhead

• Dave MorganDave Morgan Posts: 3,123

Cotoneaster, one of the upright ones.

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

A cotoneaster, maybe C. simmonsii

In the sticks near Peterborough

Ooooh! Thank you.

Oddly enough it is near to this other non-vertical shrub which I previously thought may be of the cotoneaster family although with the elongated elliptical leaves I wasn't sure. I decided to take some snaps as was still light enough outside and seeing as you both know something about cotoneasters! Is this one also a Cotoneaster?

Thanks again

• LiriodendronLiriodendron Posts: 8,328

C simmonsii makes a good hedge so I'm sure you can chop it back and make it thicken up.  Maybe in late winter?

Since 2019 I've lived in east Clare, in the west of Ireland.
  • LiriodendronLiriodendron Posts: 8,328

Now that one's a lonicera - a shrubby honeysuckle.  Maybe L. pileata?

Since 2019 I've lived in east Clare, in the west of Ireland.
  • nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

I think it's L pileata

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • Hi -

Yes, for the C. simmonsii I have managed to find out that pruning would best be late winter early spring. - THANK YOU to both of you.

I'm really pleased to know what the low-spreading hedge was as well, but sad that this low-lier will not become high enough for screening. That whole side of the garden has become a priority project with regards to screening and maybe the subject of a future thread!

Bless you!