Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Hydranger

I was given a Hydranger in a lovely decrotive pot three years ago has a present,the last two years there has not been many blooms this year only two heads,I just wondered if I should take it out of the pot and unravel the roots and put fresh compost in.

• LynLyn Posts: 23,190

Definitely, put in the ground or a really big pot. 

You can buy rose and shrub compost for it. Cut it down a bit next march, that should make it move.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Alan4711Alan4711 Posts: 1,657

Hi Arthur,bit difficult to say without knowing how and what feed your using and how much watering, if all that is good, then perhaps a fresh compost and some slow release fertilizer will do the trick,iv got hydrangea in full sun, shade, and part shade so in truth  i cant really say they have to have any particular spot in the garden, if you do change the compost i would restart them in partial shade for a while , and it would be interesting to see if any baddies are there,iv just changed 2 pots which had vine weevil they decimated the plants. good luck 

• LoracLorac Posts: 5

What colour was the hydrangea? If it was blue or purple use an ericacous compost to ensure you have good colour - I've just bought Kardinal Violet a super dark purple/blue lacecap