Forum home Plants

wild sweetpeas

Don my TonDon my Ton Posts: 63
When is the best time to sow them. Just got dome red ones from a customers garden. The pots and seeds are hard.

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,093

What are wild sweetpeas?

• philippa smith2philippa smith2 Posts: 8,113

Do you mean the perennials (not scented ) ?

• Don my TonDon my Ton Posts: 63
    Yes philippa. They call everlasting ive seen elsewhere.
  • philippa smith2philippa smith2 Posts: 8,113

You can do them 2 ways.............Autumn or Spring.

Personally, I would sow them now.  They will germinate fairly quickly but you will need to grow them on ( deep narrow pots are best to accommodate the long root ) and then plant out next year.

It might  be helpful to check out David K's thread on Sweet Peas.......I'm thinking the basics are the same.  I don't currently grow Sweet Peas but do have the everlasting.

Hope this gives you a start anyway......IMO they are useful plants to have aroundimage

• hogweedhogweed Central ScotlandPosts: 3,970

I have just waged war this summer on a border of perennial sweet peas. They were starting to come up everywhere and didn't do anything for me - untidy plant with no smell. So on with the weedkiller and out they came. I am sure they will get their own back next year when they will start coming up again in my newly planted border ! Just when I think I have won the war!

'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller
  • Don my TonDon my Ton Posts: 63
    Would i have to pinch the tips at 4" like normal sweetpeas?
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 15,290

I dont think they care what you do with them, my daughter has just sent me a photo of hers, one plant, 8' by 6' thats just one seed!

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor.