Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Plant or weed?

Tina_i_amTina_i_am Posts: 173

Sorry this has uploaded sideways. I think it's an iPad thing, because when ever I upload a picture to any forum, this always happens. 

Anyhow, does anyone know what this plant (or weed) is?

It's nothing I've brought into the garden and seems to have come in on the wind. 

I would like to keep it and thinking of carefully potting it up

Thanks in advance

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

I think it's an oxalis of some sort

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • Yes definitely an Oxalis (https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=498) If it has turned up here it could turn up again elsewhere - depends if you like it's travelling habit image

• Tina_i_amTina_i_am Posts: 173

Would that be something that could over run a boarder? 

it's growing in a shady area of my garden, which I'm growing hosta, ferns and Christmas box.

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

I don't know which one it is Tina. Some are harmless, some take over the world.

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • Tina_i_amTina_i_am Posts: 173

Thank you, I didn't want to be fooled with, "but it's so,pretty, it can't be a weed."

Now you've said, I have seen the ones with yellow flowers and dark brownish leaves elsewhere, in neighbours garden I think. 

I might jus have it in a pot.

• Here's what I think it is:

https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=498

• PalustrisPalustris Posts: 4,307

Looks very much like the one I have as Oxalis hirta. Not one of the really invasive ones.

The yellow flowered, red leafed one in your neighbours Tina, is one of the most invasive species in the world (and it has colonised the world too).

• Forester2Forester2 Posts: 1,477

It looks just like one that a cleaning lady gave me thirty odd years ago.  It has never been a problem and just stays in the place where I first planted it - very well behaved.

• More invasive than buttercups and nettles and vetch?? image

• PalustrisPalustris Posts: 4,307

Oxalis cornuta makes bindweed look benign.