Forum home Talkback

July in the garden!!

• suziiisuziii Posts: 15

Brittany = very wet! The leaves of our climbing New Dawn & Alfred Carrier roses are completly brown spotted & all the buds have turned brown too. Any experts out there to advise? Shall I cut all shoots back drastically & wait for new growth when the weather remembers that July is in the summer! Too drastic?

Thanks

• Alina WAlina W Posts: 1,445

It's just the rain. I wouldn't cut them back, it won't really help in this weather.

• I only joined the forum this week and I must say it is a lot of fun! Here are a few of mine. Took them this morning in a dry spell.

When I knew even less about gardening than I do now, I bought a pack of five climbing roses for about fourten pounds. They were worth the money!

These are little gladioli, I think they are gorgeous.

Bugle and something else I don't know the name of.

Self-seeded Welsh poppies.

Leycesteria.

Stachys.

A wilderness of plants.

Bought chealpy as an unnamed English rose.

• InkadogInkadog Posts: 492

Lovely photos--looks like another sunny day here. Just finished watering, then it's back to the construction project. It's concrete day.

• gardeningfanticgardeningfantic Posts: 1,019

great photos grandma.. it has rained here all day.. so so soooooooooooo fed up with it all now..

• Tina5Tina5 Posts: 46

What super photos everyone!

Some pics from today

• Great photos, Tina. Where the heck do you live, Inkadog?

• What a fab range of plants you all have. I have a confession, I've never been a rose lover, the only one I've ever been tempted with was Alnwick Castle, but it was the fragrance rather than the flower which I loved. However, there are some stunners here. I particularly like the Pat Austin and Emma Hamilton.... hmmm .. maybe I'll look at some at Tatton.

Tina, sunshine ! ! I think we've had the wettest day this year! image

• InkadogInkadog Posts: 492

I live on an island on the west coast of Canada, between Vancouver and Victoria.  Our weather is similar to yours.

Too hot for mixing concrete--but I have another terrace done -well, except for soil-and am hiding out in the house with a cold glass of cider. Thank goodness for the ocean breeze. I would be perfectly content if the weather stayed like this. Supposed to have a good few days.

• Tina5Tina5 Posts: 46

Quercus, I live on the North Essex coast. About five minutes walk from the beach. We don't get much rain here. St Osyth, a couple of miles away is offically the driest place in England. It has been very wet this year, but we still manage to get a fair bit of sunshine!  This morning it was pouring. This afternoon it was clear blue skies..and very hot.