Forum home Talkback

July in the garden!!

• LeggiLeggi Posts: 489

Yarrow: I have done both with my Geums, last year I took the flower stems off completely and then it didn't flower again. This year I've found just snipping below the flower head and leaving the stems on the plants to be a lot more successful, often the new flower heads are just tiny little buds on the stem about an inch or so below the spent flower head.

Have you tried growing any from seed? I'm tempted to leave a few flower heads to go to seed as they are supposed to come true, I really love Geums and think they're a little over looked.

I've just had a look at photos of Geum Prinses Juliana, and it's the same flower as the one I mentioned earlier but was sold to me as Totally Tangerine, I had wondered what its proper name was, so many thanks! image

• InkadogInkadog Posts: 492

Great pics, everyone--think I might try spuds in buckets next year. Leggi, your photo inspired me to check on my monarda--I had planted it in the deer garden, and it got pruned, so I moved it inside the fence. It has rewarded me--here is a photo

You can see the vertical garden project is coming along, behind on the left.

This one is called Gardenview Scarlet. But alas, not deer-resistant, as claimed.

And while there, took some others. Here is my canna, African Sunset

And the crocosmia are putting on a show--will move some to the deer garden

And that fuschia that I grew from a cutting is flourishing!!!

• Nice pic's again everybody! @ Leggi n GF Thank for your comments n little-ann, nice crop of Tatties from such a little bucket! Good going! 

Well, I called in the plot on my way home from work to water the Toms! Fruit now beggining to set! n at last we have a few female flowers on the courgettes! Yippeee!  Was beggining to give up hope! n the cucumers are setting fruit too! Bonus!! n a slug managed to find a way in to one of my brassica beds in a slight gap I left in the netting after harvesting last week! Devoured the outer leaves only, thank god! but found him n sentenced him to death! 

@Inka On returning home I checked out my potted Cannas n Dahlia's on the decking out back, which are trying, but everything is just so damp! Oh! Did I mention it is raining again!!!!!! Grrrrrrrrrr!!!!!! 

• Pennine PetalPennine Petal Posts: 1,540
    Inkadog, I love the colour of that fence, what is it? No flowers on my crocosmia Lucifer yet, we're about 2 weeks behind up here, at 1000ft on the Lancs/Yorks border
  • little-annlittle-ann Posts: 878

thanks all, yes one potato planted in the flower bucket managed all those they were planted on 27 march

• little-annlittle-ann Posts: 878

i love that canna might try some next year

I bring the canna in for the winter--it is in a pot.I have given many divisions away. It gets orange flowers later on, but it's the foliage I love--especially with the sun behind it later in the day. The fence is a solid stain called Cherry--house brand of Home Hardware here in Canada. It's a latex stain. I am pleased with the crocosmia--I moved it, and it's doing much better in the new spot.

Hope you all get some sun soon. We actually had a display of the Northern Lights the other night--unusual this far south, but there has been a big storm on the sun. Sitting out at midnight, intoxicated by the fragrance of the star jasmine on the deck. And hardly any bugs!

• yarrow2yarrow2 Posts: 735

Love that Canna as well Inkadog.  Fabulous garden.

• Pottie PamPottie Pam Posts: 887

Inkadog, you are so lucky to have the Northern Lights. We've had a few problems with banking computors and mobile phone networks. I wonder if the sun activity caused this.

I love plants with a fragrance. My mock orange didn't have much smell at all this year. I think it was the lack of sun, although the honeysuckly still smells fabulous in the evening. The weathermen say we are having some Summer weather at last as the jet stream is moving.

Pottiepam, I have had no luck at all with honeysuckle----even though there is a native form that grows here. Think it's my lack of moisture----they don't die, but don't thrive either. My neighbour 's down the hill is gorgeous.My mock orange has disappointing bloom and fragrance this year--but rampant growth due to all the rain earlier. I was out attacking it with the pruners yesterday.