Forum home Talkback

July in the garden!!

• little-annlittle-ann Posts: 878

i so enjoy looking at your pictures i took some myself this morning, but it has taken  ages to be able to  upload them.

anyway the first one has done so i will try to do the rest after this has posted

that has taken a while but i will try the others now

the roses and greens are doing OK

• What a beautiful collection of photos and great to see some of are gardens are thriving despite the recent deluges we have had lately!

gardeningfrantic - seen your superb pix of bottlebrushes.  I know you planted yours from seed you say.  I bought one three years ago and each year since planting, it has weakened and finally died.  Do you bring yours inside during the winter months or cover the plants in some way for protection.  I would love to get one growing successfully here as they are such stunners.  We had them in our garden when we lived in Western Australia.

• LilylouiseLilylouise Posts: 1,013

Thankyou so much for the kind comments about our garden  image

Your Roses are beautiful Little- Ann and I love the colouring of your Rose Rain image

Pam x

• gardeningfanticgardeningfantic Posts: 1,019

@little-Ann - supberb pictures love hte yellow rose... they are doing well this year.

@madeleine51.. yes hubbs Dad planted it some odd 20 years ago, (sneaked the seed bod in from Aus when visitng Daughter) no it stays out all year round, rain shine or snow, but mine was looking sick  (well hubbys) last year so took the plunge and gave it good hack back, well since then it has blossomed out with loads new branches and flowers, i think they need to be cut back each year to keep good and healthy as they are a plant for hotter climate than ours really. But maybe as we do stay warmer and drier than up country, that might make a difference,

having gone for a stroll today as gorgeous blue skies and sun i have noticed that many others in my area are flowering very very well this year.. i do not understand why because we have had lot of rain.. but then aome parts of aus cant get lots of rain at times.. so maybe it is more like home to them, i do not fully know why.

ALso i have been told it is easy to take cuttings from them.. when fresh new shoots form this year come out cut them and some rooting powerd and pot up, they do fine.. so i will try this this, t his week and let ya know, if they grow i will send you one... i give anything a go when it comes to propergating.

thank you lillylouise, the bottle brush is in a sheltered spot so misses the snow when coming in from that front.. it has just taken off this year, hubby said i would kill itimage if i cut it back,, but he is so happy iwth it as it reminds him of his Dad and it is the one plant i never move or mess with, except to cutit as it was looking rough.. thought it is do or die, had to be done..

• LeggiLeggi Posts: 489

A few from my little patch.

http://i1048.photobucket.com/albums/s373/leggi2/garden3.jpg

http://i1048.photobucket.com/albums/s373/leggi2/Garden2.jpg

http://i1048.photobucket.com/albums/s373/leggi2/garden4.jpg

http://i1048.photobucket.com/albums/s373/leggi2/Garden2012.jpg

• yarrow2yarrow2 Posts: 735

Hi pottiepam: many thanks for your response to my grass query a few posts back.  Fabulous!  Yes it is indeed Briza and I've since managed to get a couple of young plants which are labelled 'Briza Media'.  Thanks to you (and my laziness not looking it up anywhere) I was able to go get what I was looking for.image

deanlovett:  I'm drooling over your spuds and cabbage. 

leggi:  love your photos and lovely plants.  Can I ask - is your Monarda  (Bergamot) 'Cambridge Scarlet'?  It's a stunning plant.  And what is the lovely smaller red behind your marigolds?   It looks lovely and a nice size but I can't see it too clearly in the photo and can't tell if it's attached to the darker foliage or growing through and around it.

lilylouise:  I'm wondering if it was in one of your past photos that I saw the cream plant in this photo below.  I know someone on this forum had a photo of this gorgeous plant (is it a poppy?) and apologies if I'm not remembering who in fact it was.  Saw this in a garden yesterday and was really taken with it and would like to know more about it.  Although it doesn't look as if it would be joyful in my clay soil but maybe someone can advise on this gorgeous little thing.

its a Californian poppy they come from very pale through to vibrant colours and are annuals

@leggi.. great pics can i ask what that tall plant with red flowers in front of your shed in top piccie called as rather nice.

your passion fruit is doing well.. i had lovely one but when my neighbours moved it and dug our for a patioo right upto our ftrellis fence.. they cut it back and cut right through the main truck.. it died.. had big row with them over it..