Forum home Talkback

July in the garden!!

• diggingdorisdiggingdoris Posts: 512

Remind me not to ever buy a house built on clay soil! The borders are flooded again today, despite hubby and I baling out 50 full buckets from the gullys around the lawn yesterday! We just got it down to a trickle at the bottom by tea time then it started to rain and it's rained all night and still going strong. Can't walk down to the GH unless we put wellies on as the grass and patio are under 2 inches of water. Where does it all come from. I'm rather depressed as we've both got backache from all that lifting yesterday and now it looks as if we didn;t do it. All your photos are fabulous and I'm fed up that our garden is unworkable, and will be for days yet.

July in the garden ! Huh! it's July in the water meadows here!

• yarrow2yarrow2 Posts: 735

Thanks for comment 'Gary Hobson'.  Ooooh Pam and everyone - how great it is to see your photos.  Inspiring stuff!  So very cheering during prolonged wet wet wet periods.  Gardening is a pretty new world for me and as you all know it hits the soul spot, runs the gamut of every emotion (including wonderment) known to man - is fun fun fun to the point of hilarity sometimes when things go wrong - and this forum confirms a feeling of community which seems to be quite rare these days.

A little off-topic digression here.  Took trip round the Botanics (in Edinburgh) the other day where they have undertaken massive plantings of perennials this year - I'm talking thousands.  Quite a sight.  I'd meant to visit more regularly to see how things were coming into bloom but the usual 'time' contricts means I keep missing some plants at their best.  I was pottering around an area where several plants were dying back and what remained was a fairylike area of interplanted grasses.  One of these grasses I was really taken with.  I tried to get a good photograph but the dangly bits were so small and grouped together that my little camera could not focus.  I'd love to know what this is.  It was amazingly effective planted between many types of plants, especially tall stemmed delicate flowers.  I missed the label but it has a very short name and begins with a 'B' - like Bria or something.  Anyone know what it is.  I'll put these pics in - but I couldn't isolate the detail of this little grass.

It really looked like a fountain of grasses leftover where the plants had now gone to seed.  Lovely.

And this is as much as my camera could do to focus on this tiny grass.  For all the world it looks like little ladybirds or beasties are delicately dangling from the stalks.  It's lovely when you see it 'in focus' but I couldn't do it.

• Pottie PamPottie Pam Posts: 887

Hi Yarrow2, Could it be quaking grass (briza)?

• Hi all! @ Lily Louise! your garden is absoloutly to die for! n I'm sure from pictures posted you will do well for the NGS! We all need a bit of sunshine though I must admit! n we are only begginers! but would love to say we are more than happy with our hard work, return n rewards!! 

Sunday Lunch!

• InkadogInkadog Posts: 492

Looks very pretty, Dean--hope you are getting some sun.

• Not a chance Inka!! Honked it down with rain for weeks! Had a bit of resbite today! But everything this year is so far behind! 

• InkadogInkadog Posts: 492

We are finally getting some sun here-but there has been thunder and lightning for the last 2 nights. Gardening is down to weeding watering and starting some winter veg. Have harvested garlic scapes and will be digging garlic next month. I am glad I doubled my crop this year. The scapes are delish.

• Pennine PetalPennine Petal Posts: 1,540
    Reclaimed the garden steps from the alchemilla and geraniums. Cut back the heuchera and oriental poppy - space for more plants now! Nice day in Rossendale, just got in before the downpour starts.
  • Rose for today it's called Purple Tiger.

http://i826.photobucket.com/albums/zz184/rainjustlearning/IMG_0498.jpg

• gardeningfanticgardeningfantic Posts: 1,019

@lillylouise.. your garden still looks stunning as ever, it is a pleasure to admire, you work so hard on it, i can only ever hope to have look like that, far to windy on top of hte cliff here.

@dean.. your garden is looking great and those veg gorgeous, we had our own swede, peas and carrots last sunday roast and will do the sam today so much nicer.

@rainjustlearning.. lovely rose such a lovley mix of colour unusual.

@Penninepetal.. yes it si amazing how much space you gain after cuttingback.. was same when i did my lawn edges had anther 4ins fo fill up.. ha ha bubyb moans everything over hanging when trying to cut the lawn.. but hey it look sgreat i tell him.. he huffs of normally and carries on.image

the waether has been rather good last few days.. bit of rain yesterday for hour but that all.. today is blue skies and cloudy so off out there in a min to do some more.