Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

plant I don't have but would love

Saw this plant, the one with long, drooping stalks and conical-shaped pink flowers in the botanical gardens near me. It's sooo pretty, would love to know what it was.

Anyone got a coveted plant they wold love to have but don't/can't?

• Mark 499Mark 499 Posts: 380

Melanie, the plant in your picture is Dierama, also known as Angels fishing rod.

I don't know which variety though.

• bekkie hughesbekkie hughes Posts: 5,294
    Id love a border planted in the prarie style, but ive given up all suitable space for veggies! image, you cant have everything image
  • Forester2Forester2 Posts: 1,477

I had those Angels fishing rods by my pond and it was so pretty but I'm afraid they are not long lived and it eventually vanished image.

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 34,888

I grew it once, and , as Forester2 says, it didn't last long with me either.

I understand it's pretty easy from seed, but these are likely to be very variable and not come true to the parent.

Devon.
    They are very pretty and delicate, a little too delicate for my garden i think! image

I want a granny smith apple tree image
  • Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge Posts: 3,502

I've just bought a tiny dierama for my new pink border to try and detract from a snowberry stump which I am trying to stop re growing. 

If I had 4 metres spare (image) and slightly acidic soil, I'd get a giant fern. 

Wearside, England.
    There is hope then verdun? I may try one image
  • Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge Posts: 3,502

Really? I have neutral soil. Still can't really justify it though- I could fit at least 20 plants in that spaceimage and I'd have to dig up my drive to accommodate itimage

Wearside, England.