Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Grass ID

Hi all, any grass experts out there who could tell me what this grass is that has self-seeded in one of my pots? Thanks.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,139

It looks like Carex Pendula - aka pendulous sedge - you may be interested in this recent thread - http://www.gardenersworld.com/forum/plants/removing-stubborn-ornamental-grass/440992.html 

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• Forester2Forester2 Posts: 1,477

I had this self seed in my garden and was initially very pleased as it was very pretty, but I soon changed my mind when it proceeded to seed everywhere and the clumps got thicker and thicker and were hard work to dig out.  It still pops up here and there but I don't allow it to get take over any more.    

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 34,888

ditto Forester2. That fine line between native plant and invasive weed !

Devon.
  • Dave MorganDave Morgan Posts: 3,123

This is the one reason I don't have grasses in my garden. Although many are very attractive plants, and often highly recommended by the gardening guru's, keeping on top of them, is a consistent issue, and for some of my customers. I am always being asked to thin out self seeded grasses from gardens, and many have come to regret planting them. They have their place, but for me, not in my garden.