Forum home Talkback

Garden and Gardeners World back issues

Rosie31Rosie31 Posts: 483

Every month I get a Gardeners' World magazine and also a 'Garden' magazine (I'm an RHS member).  I love them.  But I've now got several years worth of back issues and they are taking over the house.  They are still really good reference sources (after all, the yearly routine in the garden doesn't change that much) so I hate to throw them out.  But really I don't want them any more.

Does anyone else have the same problem, and if so what do you do with them?

Or would anyone out there like them?

Rosie

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 63,784

When I worked I used to take a few for the staff room.  Now my daughter has some, then she hands them back and swaps them for some newer ones - then I take them to the local GP practice for the waiting room.  The receptionist said they're very popular image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• BluebaronBluebaron Posts: 226
    If you are local to gatwick them yes I'll have some. I have the last 12 months already.

????
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 16,480

I keep all mine and the Amateur garde

ner, they just seem

too good to throw away, and I like to get a previous years mag and compere to this years.

I havent subscribed this year to GW as I cant aford to buy it and my Tesco vouchers all went on my RAC subscription.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 63,784

The ones I give away are quite elderly - they stay on my bookshelves for two or three years before getting passed on. 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Rosie31Rosie31 Posts: 483

I've given a load to the local GP already.... perhaps I could give some to some other local practices...

• Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 5,821

I keep mine for a year, then either I cut out in-depth articles on plants I have already or would like and file these in folders for easy reference, or I pass them on to friends, the local GP, dentist or our local hospital.Possibly the care homes might also be grateful for back copies for their residents.

You could try putting them on Freecycle to see if anybody will take them away!

• GardenmaidenGardenmaiden Posts: 1,123

Used to pas them on to the late mother in law, who passed them on to the late grandparents in law. Now I pass them on to my sisters father in law.

• FleurisaFleurisa Posts: 779

I give mine to a girl from work, or I could take them to our gardeners association

• bekkie hughesbekkie hughes Posts: 5,294
    I do the same as when i had a mad thing for cross stitch mags (dont ask!), go through, cut out anything you find interesting or think you will need, put it in a folder or whatever, you then can organise it to your needs, you will be amazed how much is advertising or rubbish! You can then recycle the rubbish, guilt free image

Another thing is to offer then to schools and child minders as the colourful mags are brill for making pics image
  • Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge WearsidePosts: 2,906

I'm going to try Lizzie's care home idea since there's one up the road. To be honest I normally chuck mine in the recyclingimage