Best ways of preserving beetroot

Hi everyone, i've just picked a nice beet & i've got some others looking good now. As i'm a newbie to veg gardening i was wondering what are the best ways to preserve them until i'm ready to cook them?

• LynLyn Posts: 8,371

I keep them in the fridge until I have few, then cook them and open freeze. None of us like vinigar so I dont pickle.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 
  • philippa smith2philippa smith2 Posts: 6,158

If you simply mean how to store fresh pulled beetroot until you have sufficient to make a meal, you may be able to keep them for longer if you used the "clamp" method (similar to clamping Beet or Carrots ?

I'm certainly no expert on this method but think it is layering your veg with dry sand or soil and keeping cool and dark.

I imagine either Dove from Above or Welshonion would be able to adviseimage

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 43,587

I tend to lift and eat the beetroot as they are ready; at this time of year we plan our meals around what's ready in the garden.

During the growing season beetroot keep best in the soil, but they need lifting before the frosts can damage them.

Philippa's right, we used to build a soil root clamp - a smaller version of the way farmers would store fodder beet to feed their cattle through the winter.

This site gives more information https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=666 

Hope that's helpful 

No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
  • Donning me chef's hat....I sometimes make beetroot & lime jelly:

*Boil the beetroot in the normal way, then cut into small squares and place into jar/jars.

*Make up a 1pt lime jelly, instead of using a pint of boiling water, use 1/2pt of boiling water and 1/2pt of (cold) white vinegar - then pour this over the beetroot and allow to set.

• treehugger80treehugger80 Posts: 1,407

I freeze them once I've boiled and skinned them

• Forester2Forester2 Posts: 1,478

Does anyone else use a pressure cooker to cook their beetroot?  Mine comes out once a year to do the job and is known as 'hissing sid'.  Then pickled in Kilner jars to keep us going during the year.  I do like a bit of unpickled though.

David.........when you say "Lime Jelly" do you make your own or do you mean those little rubbery squares ? ( which I recall eating raw as a child image ).

I love Beetroot either fresh or pickled but never tried it with Lime........at first, it sounded a bit odd but I'm warming to the idea now.

Forester......."hissing sid".........I have used in the past but after several occasions of not keeping an eye on the wretched thing and the kitchen becoming like a Turkish Bath, I gave up .  I also recall my mother cooking everything to death with the HS and then being forced to "eat your greens, dear".....so that is probably another reason why I am not too keenimage

• Beetroot and Orange Chutney, the recipe can be found in BBC Good Food.

Kay..........that sounds interestingimage

Trouble for me is that I already have a ton of all sorts of Chutneys...........I think they will probably outlive meimage

• I give mine away and just keep a couple of large jars and decant the chutney into smaller jars as I need it, that way i don't feel overwhelmed by it.