Forum home Problem solving

Clematis "Apple Blossom"

Two months ago I planted a healthy-looking Armandi Apple Blossom,expecting it to grow vigorously over its first summer. However, all the growing tips have been nipped off and the plant is making no progress at all.Apart from the expense (it cost £24-99),it is disappointing that my blank fence is not after all going to be covered in evergreen foliage before the winter sets in.Any ideas, please?

• FleurisaFleurisa Posts: 779

Slugs and snails love to eat clematis

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 18,626

Yes, slugs and snails. But keep after them (for a couple of years) until the plant has settled in and started to grow properly and one day it will be off and over the fence before you can get the garden twine out.

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,160

Everything takes time to settle down. This one does its flowering very early and then puts on extension growth. 

Mine covered the entrance to the summerhouse earlier in the year and is hardening off the new growth now.  

Just you wait, pansy face is right off over the fence and further if it gets a chance. I saw it in the garden of a residential home, it had covered an area at least 40 foot long and 20 wide, taken in 4 rotary clothes lines and the fences on all four sides. It was lovelyimage

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 18,626

What a wonderful mental image I have of it Nut. They are so willing to please when they get started - and the perfume really is of apple blossom.

Don't give up on it PR.

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • flowering roseflowering rose Posts: 1,632

I had   a similar problem and it turned out to be ,and I know not why, lily beetles.I have now tried my own solution of garlic drink for my plants as well as spray and indeed my indoor plants are doing ok on it  as like most things they hate garlic and it also very good for the plant but not on seedlings .