Forum home Fruit & veg

Mystery Tomatoes

Fishy65Fishy65 Posts: 2,253

The six tomato plants I have were given to me from a friend along the road.The only trouble is that she can't remember what sort they were. They are coming along nicely and though still green they are getting bigger...and bigger...and bigger. I'm wondering just when they are going to stop,could they be beefsteak? 

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 16,491

Make sure they are well supported fishy, shame if they broke.

We need to see a photo of the finished produce, cos we are a nosey lot!

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Fishy65Fishy65 Posts: 2,253

I'll take a pic when they're ripe Lyn.At the moment they're about the size of a standard tomato but showing no signs of turning orange/red  image

If you picked a couple off each truss they would get even bigger. They reckon to leave only one beefsteak on a truss. I couldnt do that but the growers for shows do.

Thanks Lyn for your input,it is very much appreciated. OK I have spoken to Mrs Fish and it turns out she's remembered that our friend DID tell her what sort they are. They're Money Maker tomatoes,medium sized apparently so I should think they've about reached their limit. I've got quite a few on each lowest truss,less as they go up which I'm assuming is normal?

Have you given them some tomato feed, they are usually much the same all the way up, but whatever you get, its a great acheivement when you go out there and pick some.

Just got to hope the hot weather will last a bit longer, they will ripen soon. Dont take them off to quickly or the skins and core may be hard, they will give way very easily when they are ready.

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 34,150

I'm growing Moneymaker  Fishy - and they're quite inconsistent in size. I grew them last year and they were just the same -the earliest ones tended to be bigger than subsequent fruits.  I also grew them in a previous house where I had a big conservatory. They were more consistent in size so perhaps it's also down to conditions. The conservatory ones all had exactly the same amount of light as they were in a row along one windowsill. The ones I've grown last year and this are in little growhouses so the light will be more variable. Perhaps it's that simple!

Mine are all still green at the moment too  image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

Lyn - yes I've been giving them Tomorite at the recommended dose and frequency. I'll heed your advice thank you so much....PS the Borage seeds came today.Many many thanks for those image

Fairygirl - it sounds a Money maker trait then perhaps.Mine are in a grow bag outside.The position catches the sun for most of the day.

And I've got something to confess to you expert tomato growers. I've got all six plants in one grow bag.When I first planted the little plants I didn't realise its supposed to be three plants max to a bag. Though it looks like I'm getting away with it image I water them twice a day to prevent drying out of the compost.

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 34,150

I've experimented slightly with mine this year too Fishy. I have one in a clematis pot - the deep narrow kind, two in a plastic 'toy' box and three in a plastic trough - albeit quite a deep one - just to see how they all grow. I've let the three in the trough grow to full size and I've stopped the others as they're in a smaller growhouse. Apart from that, they're all getting the same treatment, but like you, I have to water the single one a bit more. So far, the fruits are all very similar. I suppose it depends how much attention you can give because they will be more dependent when there's less growing medium -  certainly for water.

We can compare notes - and fruits -  later in the year!  image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....