Floppy Rose

2»

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 55,511

This system was 'invented' by Xa Tollemache at Helmingham Hall in Suffolk http://www.helmingham.com/rosesupports.asp

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• I did look at this but there does not seem to be an illustration. Do you know any more about it? Thanks.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 55,511

There's info here too, but still no pic http://www.telegraph.co.uk/gardening/gardeningadvice/7429849/Train-vintage-roses-with-old-fashioned-style.html

Think I saw some on the Chelsea tv prog this year - and I have been to Helmingham Hall Gardens (really well worth a visit).  The rose supports are a sort of metal dome-shaped frame.  I've a feeling that Xa Tollemache also uses bent hazel to do this as well.  

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Wow!  I knew that there would be someone out there better organised than I am.  So why, I wonder, did I think it was an American thing?  Either I dreamt it, or there was some form of link to an American website  But, whatever the case, many thanks Dove to  have followed up on my (poor) memory.  (Note to self:  save it!  Reference it!  Remember it!)  Thank you again image

would something like this do the trick?  Although it says in all the blurb about domed rose supports that you tie in alomost horizontally so possibly not image

• I have a Wildeve rose, when I bought it, the label said compact shrub rose 3ft tall. This has not been the case, Wildeve has been more of what I would call a rambling/ground cover rose. It has produced a few flower clusters in its first year and grown quite tall, around one and half ft. I have had to put supports all round it. The big problems I am frinding are that its flowers sag downward so you cannot really apprciate them, and also the buds take weeks and weeks to form and then once they open they last around 2-3 days and drop off !!!!! So I wait all the time for buds to open, go to all the effort of propping indvidual flower clusters up.... and they blow away in the wind two days later.

I have placed my Wildeve in a prime location in an expensive half barrel, this year I have pruned it back about 1/3 taking out all the spindily stems and only leaving bigger stronger canes and stems. I have decided that if it does not do better this year I will plant it out somewhere in the garden and replace it with an Iceberg rose. 

• Matty2Matty2 Posts: 4,817

I saw this technique at Sissinghurst and wanted to know how to do it. So thanks fro re-freshing my memory and giving the info. Will give it a go image

• Interesting to see this thread revived. I was thinking about it only this morning and wondering whether I'd be able to find it again, so thanks for reviving it, Greentooth. Also interesting that a number of people have had the same experience of D Austin roses as I have had. I am going to try to create that domed shape with my rose this year, in the hope of getting shorter side shoots that will support the flowers better. 

• No problem Gardening Grandma. I will try the domed shaping once my rose sends up its canes this summer. I do sometimes wonder if its worth the trouble, the wildeve flowers are nice but nothing amazing. Speaking of rambler/ climbing roses this year I have bought x4 New Dawn roses, they have a very good write up, so I am looking forward  to seeing how they do image