Forum home Fruit & veg

Are these wild raspberries?

As a newbie, I wasn't positive if these were raspberries. They look like they are but there are a bunch of them at a local park. Close up, they look a bit ugly (at least the branches do - they are kinda fuzzy and prickly). Having never eaten a single thing I've see in a park or outdoors (always believing something could be poisonous or toxic) I wanted to check. I took a branch home and put it in some water with rooting powder, but I haven't a clue if that will work.

Thanks!

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 14,657

Looks like a raspberry. Wild raspberries are not likely to give a good crop. You would do better buying in some virus free raspberry canes.

They are propagated by dividing the roots and replanting.

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • BizzieBBizzieB Posts: 885

Hello New Gardener5. image   these are my early raspberries, they never  get bigger, just darker as they ripen.

Have enlarged your photo and they look the same.

I'm sure someone who knows about wild raspberries will pick up your message.

image Thanks fidgetbones. I know mine are  from stock canes I tend to forget go water them so the fruit is small.

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,160

They could be Japanese wineberries

Do you grow them nutcutlet?

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,160

Not but I killed one onceimage

We saw a nice crop at East Ruston.

I'm not convinced, just thought it a possiblity. There are so many similar raspberry/brambly things

image image 

• LeggiLeggi Posts: 489
    It's interesting to note that in Elizabethan times raspberries were the wild types and blackberries were cultivated. Other than that I'd say that, yeah they look like raspberries to me. image
  • plotskierplotskier Posts: 65

Could be unripe blackberries. Anyway, New Gardener5, try to propagate them and see. What you are attempting is a form of hydroponic propagation. What you need to do is add nutrients to the water eg a sachet of Dioralyte which contains all the ions required for humans and plants survival.Good luck.

• Invicta2Invicta2 Posts: 663

It could be Rubus tricolor, an evergreen member of the raspberry family from east Asia. I remember it being planted as a ground cover plant in some parks and cemeteries where I used to work. The stems were red and hairy , very like Japanese Wineberry and the leave glossy. The fruit was like small raspberries, edible and quite sweet but lacking the Raspberry fragrance. Be warned, if it is this plant it is a rampant grower.