Forum home Fruit & veg

Rhubarb crowns

The garden sort out continues!  Last week, a school fruit and veg garden was being dug up to be moved.  There was some lovely looking rhubarb so I had some of the crowns to plant in the garden as they would have been thrown away otherwise.  Now I'm not sure what to do with them.  It seems that this is not the right time to plant rhubarb.  Is it worth giving it a go as the place I will put them will need quite of lot of work before planting?  Also if it is okay to plant them now, should I remove the leaves and stem?

Thanks for your help.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 63,934

If they've been dug up then they need to be planted as soon as possible!

Dig over an area about 1m x 1m for each crown and dig in as much well rotted farm yard manure and/or home made garden compost as possible and a good sprinkling of Fish Blood and Bone and plant them with the growing point just proud of the soil.

Remove any brown leaves and stems but leave the rest.

Give them a couple of buckets of water when you plant them, and keep them well watered with the soil remaining moist but not boggy until the colder weather arrives and the leaves die down. 

Good luck image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Eileen2711Eileen2711 Posts: 25

Thank you, Dove.  I'll give it a go!

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 63,934

Don't pick any rhubarb the first year after transplanting them (next year).  Keep them fed and watered, and in 2016 you'll have lovely rhubarb image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh