Forum home Fruit & veg

Fig Brown Turkey

This year, I've badly neglected a fig 'Brown Turkey' that's been in a container for a few years.  I've just taken a look at it today and, although there are no leaves further down the stems, there are some little leaves at the very tips.  It obviously wants to live and has shamed me into doing something about it!  I know there will be someone on this forum who knows what to do.  I promise to look after it if it survives!

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,091

where there's life, there's hopeimage

It either needs a bigger container or some ground, a good meal and some water..

and a bit of root loosening on the wayimage

• GardenmaidenGardenmaiden Posts: 1,117

Probably needs some fresh soil, a good feed and a good drink. If you have an ideal space in your garden, plant it and you should get some fruit next year. I did this to mine and its loving the garden and gives me a lot of fruit.

• Eileen2711Eileen2711 Posts: 25

Thank you all for your advice and experience.  I've given it a good watering and it's looking happier already.  What should I feed it with?  Blood, fish and bone?

It's in quite a big pot at the moment so I might just change some of the compost to see what happens.

• ItalophileItalophile Posts: 1,730

Any balanced fertiliser will do the job.