Bug ID? I think it's a hornet

What is this?

• I thought it was a hornet, but further investigation seems to suggest it is a giant hoverfly! Volucella zonaria it's a hornet mimic

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 25,301

It's a beauty Rhod! image

Lovely how some of them are big and some are so tiny. A little one came and sat on my arm the other day when I was having a seat and a drink. Think he was feeling the heat too image

Last year I had a wood wasp in the garden. They're astonishing - very noisy, clattery wings! I've noticed a lot more wasps this year - very busy around all the plants, and spending a lot of time drinking at the little birdbath.

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• BamboogieBamboogie Posts: 239

I agree fairygirl, loads of wasps or jaspers as there known 'round 'ere! They have taken over the fennel from the hoverflies, I must help somehow.....

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,021

You must help Bamboogie, plant more fennelimage

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 55,117

Where are you Bamboogie? - I lived most of my life in Suffolk - we had Jaspers there image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

Jaspers in Cambs as well. I wonder where the word comes from.

We had a stripey cat called Jasperimage

• BamboogieBamboogie Posts: 239

From Kernow but now settled in south devon. There's a swarm of emmits 'round 'ere too at the moment!image

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 55,117

Think they're called jaspers after the mineral, which can be striped image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• philippa smith2philippa smith2 Posts: 7,201

BBoogie...........need a translation please.  What are emmits ?  I ask in case I have some as well and it sounds rather a nice nameimage

The mineral was new to me Dove. Missed that oneimage