Bug ID? I think it's a hornet

What is this?

• I thought it was a hornet, but further investigation seems to suggest it is a giant hoverfly! Volucella zonaria it's a hornet mimic

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 23,765

It's a beauty Rhod! image

Lovely how some of them are big and some are so tiny. A little one came and sat on my arm the other day when I was having a seat and a drink. Think he was feeling the heat too image

Last year I had a wood wasp in the garden. They're astonishing - very noisy, clattery wings! I've noticed a lot more wasps this year - very busy around all the plants, and spending a lot of time drinking at the little birdbath.

And somewhere on the hill
    Inside the past we hear the bells
    Catching only parts of thoughts
    And fragments of ourselves
    Till we begin
    Again

• BamboogieBamboogie Posts: 239

I agree fairygirl, loads of wasps or jaspers as there known 'round 'ere! They have taken over the fennel from the hoverflies, I must help somehow.....

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 25,883

You must help Bamboogie, plant more fennelimage

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 53,444

Where are you Bamboogie? - I lived most of my life in Suffolk - we had Jaspers there image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

Jaspers in Cambs as well. I wonder where the word comes from.

We had a stripey cat called Jasperimage

• BamboogieBamboogie Posts: 239

From Kernow but now settled in south devon. There's a swarm of emmits 'round 'ere too at the moment!image

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 53,444

Think they're called jaspers after the mineral, which can be striped image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• philippa smith2philippa smith2 Posts: 6,884

BBoogie...........need a translation please.  What are emmits ?  I ask in case I have some as well and it sounds rather a nice nameimage

The mineral was new to me Dove. Missed that oneimage