Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

night scented stocks

rosemummyrosemummy Posts: 2,010

hmmm. having succeeded in growing night scented stocks from seed in 2 pots and a window box i was looking forward to the scent drifting in through the windows, however I seem to have managed to grow a variety that  has very little, atually as far a I can smell...no scent!!any ideas?

• rosemummyrosemummy Posts: 2,010

tried each evening at 8 pm ish, truthfully not a lot later , at the moment i tend to be rudely awoken at 430-5 am so don't stay up very late!

• nodlisabnodlisab Posts: 414

I find they smell most after dark.

• bekkie hughesbekkie hughes Posts: 5,294
    I was dissapointed with mine to this year RM, maybe its just something to do with the weather? image
  • TootlesTootles Posts: 1,469

Are they tricky to grow? Having bought a few bunches this year I'd love to have a go at growing my own. When is best to get the seeds sown pls?  ta

• PerkiPerki Posts: 2,527

Mine did really well, i like the scent so much i brought them in the house image

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,138

My Sweet Rocket is having a second flush of blooms, and late yesterday evening, just as it was getting dark, the perfume outside was wonderful and it wafted through the doors into the house image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• soulboysoulboy Posts: 429

I'm sorry yours haven't had much scent. Mine have a glorious heady scent and because they're near the front door and hall window I get the smell wafting through in the evenings from about 7pm onwards..

• mine havent got a scent either!

• bekkie hughesbekkie hughes Posts: 5,294
    Tootles, you can buy them anywhere that sells seeds, even my local pet shop sells them for 89p!

I had always been shown to grow them with v.stock, but didnt this year, i wonder if that was the problem?

Tootles, was it the other stocks that you brought? Brompton, i think, ive tried them from seed but didnt do well (most likely that was me not the seed!), however i got some plugs one year that grew well and were exquisite! image