ideas please to screen neighbours BIG shed!

Beaus MumBeaus Mum Posts: 3,423

Dear all, please see pic of my neighbours BIG shed

not the best view for me image

Any ideas please? please NOT plants, more what I can grow plants up, the shed is right on their fence boundary so can not attach anything to it, will have to be just in front if you get what I mean?

any ideas will be imagemuch appreciated thank you

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICTPosts: 10,606

Stone the crows, did they get planning permission for that?

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • plotskierplotskier Posts: 65

Did they tell you they were going to build that and where it would be? If not, you should complain to the local council , saying they did not consult you and that it is blocking out the light to your garden. My previous neighbours did the same to me, after I'd helped put them a new fence up! She said the conservatory would only be 6-7 feet out from the back door, it's 15 feet ( half the length of the garden!), and about 8 ' tall. She's since moved and the new neighbour is so nice I best just leave it, That shed is an abomination! Far too big. The council may want a fee to proceed. It might be worth it if they are forced to take it down.

• Forester2Forester2 Posts: 1,478

Crumbs - that looks like a house not a shed.  I suppose you could ram posts at intervals into the ground with rope swags in between to grow climbers along.  Neighbours can be so thoughtless at times. 

• Beaus MumBeaus Mum Posts: 3,423

Morning all, thank you for your replies and in answer no they didn't say just how big and we didnt realise till the sides went up. I don't think they needed planning permission as appears higher as we live on a hill and their garden is higher than ours. They are lovely neighbours so don't want to fall out over it. I just want to cover best I can. Forester 2, I was thinking to put posts in as you say and like the idea of rope as don't really want yet another solid screen type as prob would look even worse. It gets some sun during the day but not a lot so don't know if a rampant rose would work on the rope? 

• Forester2Forester2 Posts: 1,478

Hi Beaus Mum - If you can watch the last Beechgrove gardening programme you can see what they did with posts and rope to distract the eye from an unsightly cut leylandii hedge.  It's on BBC2 on Sunday mornings which you can watch on iPlayer.  I think they were talking about the Rambling Rector rose which is well known for growing quickly and rampantly plus other things.  I will watch it later today to see what else they were planning to grow along it.     

• Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge WearsidePosts: 2,409

Hi Beaus Mumimage

How sad that they had to put windows overlooking your garden. I think I would have put them in the roof if it was mine.

I saw this when you put pics up of how you had designed the length of your garden and assumed it was a barn or storehouse of yoursimage

Would it be possible to put an arbor there, leaving an access path around the back? You could perhaps grow shady clematis up it or plant more shade tolerant shrubs around it to make a secluded island...

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICTPosts: 10,606

When we moved into our house our neighbours had a similar (stone) shed already in place. We didn't like the windows overlooking us so we "allowed" ivy to grow over them until it was completely covered. Then the wrens moved in and built nests in it and the shed windows became a viewing hide.

Rambling Rector is very very big (it will grow shoots 10 metres long in a few months) but is extremely thorny. I'd choose something a little more trainable such as Mme Alfred Carriere.

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • KEFKEF Posts: 8,915

Beaus Mum sorry I don't have answer for you, but do have a question. How do the neighbours think they are going to "paint" their  Summer house image if they have put it right on the boundry line?  By standing in your garden to do ? image

Thanks again for your replies. Will def watch the beech grove garden programme. A friend had already warned me about the rambling rectorso will look up the mme Alfred carriere thank you. Would def like to  cover in ivy but would take too long and if I brought a massive ivy, look a bit too obvious? Victoria there are windows on the front of it too and they can not open the ones facing me as they have too much junk piled up! It could be worse as think they intended painting it red! Luckily they are very slow as in years to complete projects image 

You can not really tell from pic and to put all in the picture the neighbours shed is at the very end of the garden and at the end of mine I have small shed which I am hoping to replace with a summer house/ garden den so maybe Victoria I could incorporate an arbour or verandah which would come out just as far but would never be able to completely cover but would def take eye off theirs hmmmmm just need money for the project and time image

Thank goodness kef they are as just mentioned slow going on projectS and were gonna paint red! Of course as I'm a soft touch and could never refuse they would paint from my side and knowing me I would have helped them! But since the arrival of our Beau think the hubby too scared of him to suggest coming in image He isn't a dog lover! Thank goodness! image