Forum home Plants

Miserable peony

DyersEndDyersEnd Posts: 730

As I said in a previous post, this is only my second summer here and having been waging war on bindweed and ground elder for most of that time I'm just getting to the point where I'm ready to sort out some other issues.

I have a very sad peony, just one flower this year and definitely not thriving. Having searched this super-helpful forum I'm certain it has been planted too deeply.  My question is, should I dig it up and re-plant it and if so, when?

• YviestevieYviestevie Kingswinford, West MidlandsPosts: 6,899

Hi DE, not sure about being planted too deeply but what I can say is that Ive ordered a new peony and they said it will be with me in October as that is the right time to plant bare rooted, I would imagine that this would be a good time to sort it out ready for next year.  Someone on here might know better though as I'm no expert.

Hi from Kingswinford in the West Midlands
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 49,148

If it's not thriving where it is I'd move it now and just keep an eye on it. You've nothing to lose. Usual wisdom is move things when they're dormant, but if you're careful about removal and get a good rootball it's not usually a problem. They don't like being planted too deeply. You could always put it in a large pot if you don't have a suitable spot for it just now. They make nice pot specimens.

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• DyersEndDyersEnd Posts: 730

Thank you both.  I think I'll try moving and replanting it now as it's just sitting there sulking.  I'll wait for this very hot spell to pass first though and then give it a good soaking before I tackle it.

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 49,148

I've moved conifers in the summer - I moved a 4 foot one years ago without a problem. I just watered it well before and after. We usually get a lot of regular rain through the summer which helps, but as long as you're vigilant it can't be any worse than it's current site if it's unhappy. If it's a big plant, it might be worth cutting back some foliage by half to avoid additional stress.

They're lovely plants aren't they, even if they don't have a long flowering spell. image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• DyersEndDyersEnd Posts: 730

Your tale of moving conifers has given me hope image.  I'd like to make it happy it if I can - the one flower in the spring was gorgeous!