Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Planting in Dappled shade

Please could I get some ideas on which type of flowers/evergreen flowering shrubs that like dappled shade?

Many thanks

Labradouble

• Lupin 1Lupin 1 Posts: 8,916

They don't have showy flowers but evergreen, interesting pom poms bearing berries, great leaves, look at Fatsia Japonica. image

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

I find choisya ternats does well in some shade.

In the sticks near Peterborough

Winter box, forgotten the correct name likes some shade and smells lovely when it flowers. Nut, what's it's name ? image

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

Sarcococca KEF?

In the sticks near Peterborough

image Thanks Nut. I think it is a small but lovely shrub. image

• greg 4greg 4 Posts: 38

Don't forget Ferns, ( I love Ferns )!

Most large garden centres have a shaded area. You could wander around and get some idea of what's available.

• Invicta2Invicta2 Posts: 663

Not very original I know, but dwarf Rhododendrons would like that situation. Mahonia aquifolium grows well in that situation, though personally I find it a dull plant.

• DaintinessDaintiness Posts: 988

Brunnera macrophylla 'Jack Frost' is lovely in a shady spot - lovely blue flowers and cracking foliage.

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 17,617

Look at Longacre plants (plants for shade).

http://www.plantsforshade.co.uk/

I am developing a bed of Roscoeas in a bed in the dappled shade of pear trees.

I had excellent service from this company. Ordered one day and delivered by courier at 9.30 next morning. Good packing and excellent plants.

• artjakartjak Posts: 4,167

Heucherasimage and there is a huge variety of them.