When is a parsnip not a parsnip?

KassiKassi Posts: 9

Afternoon all, 
Toiling in my veg patch on a lovely summers eve, thought I'd be naughty and have a look at how my parsnips are coming on, and the roots don't look like parsnip roots! 
Looks like I forgot my label my plants. 
Any ideas what they are guys?!?

Katherine

• KEFKEF Posts: 8,915

Katherine I can't enlarge the photo but the tops look like parsnip to me. What does the root look like ? I wouldn't expect much root now. However I'm no expert so hopefully someone else will reply to you image

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener LeicsPosts: 6,475

The one in the middle and the leaf to the upper right are tomatoes!

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • KassiKassi Posts: 9
    They are all the same, with lettuce in the background. I've never even brought tomatoes seeds!!!
  • KEFKEF Posts: 8,915

Bob I can only see lettuce and one plant, sideways on, and can't see a tomato image

I'm off to spec savers asap image

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 24,231

Tomatoes have a very distinctinctive smell to the leaves, easily confirmed or eliminated. I can't it see clearly enough to offer an opinion

• greg 4greg 4 Posts: 38

If you can get a Parsnip to form on that plants root, save to seed - you'll make a fortune image

• Mark 499Mark 499 Posts: 379

They are Tomatoes, not Parsnip.

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 24,231

You don't have to buy tomato seeds, just throw a few over-ripe ones on the compost heap and the seeds will be distributed by whoever ate the fruit.

• I have some tomatoes in my vegetable garden which I didn't plant !image. Very nice bonus , particularly as I had decided not to grow any this year.image Freebies will taste even sweeter.

• KassiKassi Posts: 9

Well, bonus tomatoes will do! I guess I will see as soon as they start to flower.
    Thanks guys.