Pond pumps

hogweedhogweed Central ScotlandPosts: 3,965

Can anyone help? I have had a pond in the garden for a number of years. Use a pump to push the water through a UV filter, then back into the pond. I bought a pump a few years ago. Initially it gave a good flow rate but lately the flow has dropped quite a bit. I have taken it out and cleaned it but that has made no difference. Do these pumps slowly give up the ghost over time or should they last indefinitely? Do I need a new pump? The pump is a Blagdon 5000.

'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller

• treehugger80treehugger80 Posts: 1,915

have you tried cleaning the pipe the water goes along? sometime you can get build up on the inside. I push a hosepipe along the pipe once a year and give everything a good flush out

• hogweedhogweed Central ScotlandPosts: 3,965

Yes, I've cleaned everything in sight including filter.

'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller
  • MuddyForkMuddyFork North HampshirePosts: 435

Have you tried the company website?  They may have a FAQ page that might help.  

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 5,014

I sometimes find a bit of 'something' caught in the impeller which slows flow a lot.

I know you say you cleaned everything in sight,  did that include removing the impeller and cleaning the magnet and housing ? A few yrs back I had such a problem, it turned out that the magnet at the base of the impeller had rusted and it was no longer turning smoothly, a quick rub-over with sand-paper and all was well. But I replaced the pump as it was past its best.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.