Forum home The potting shed

Oh what a Bargain!

this is my best bargain so far this year! I live in a market town and every wednesday market day we have a great plant man whos selection and prices are fab.  So much cheaper than the garden centres. Anyway I digress! earlier this summer I brought a few off him then noticed he had a box of sickly looking rose sticks in plastic bags !like the ones you get in the pound shop! I spotted handel in that box and took the 2 he had and guess what he said I could have em! for nothing! one went in the ground and one in a pot and this is the first bloom from the pot one, well chuffed!

please share your bargains and any current great offers image

• star gaze lilystar gaze lily Posts: 15,331

Just a sneaky peak in my break at work! Lol! What a beautiful colour. And more than a bargain Beaus mum, a freebie! imageimage

• Beaus MumBeaus Mum Posts: 3,541

Good for you star gaze lily, hope all ok today image

Doesnt reallyshow in the pic but is whiteish mainly and like its tie dyed paink on the edges image Oh and it's a climber 

• star gaze lilystar gaze lily Posts: 15,331

Yes all ok thank you, grotbag is off today image

• LesleyKLesleyK Posts: 4,029

Beaus Mum this is a rose I have in my garden and it is beautiful.  Unfortunately it's in the wrong place and I'll have to move it during the dormant season. I am also going to take cuttings.  You did a lot better than me though - it was £1.99 in ALDIimage 

• Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge WearsidePosts: 3,169

That is a lovely rose and it looks pristine with the white backgroundimage.

I've got a hydrangea and a gooseberry I bought for £1 each from a DIY store's dead plants shelf. They aren't doing much apart from growing but I only got them last year and had to chop them both back.

Some of the nicest plants I have were unwanted in other people's gardens so I got them for free - loads of sedums, a linaria and a pink floribunda rose which looked sick and ancient when I first got it from my sister. Half a dozen blue lupins from a friends grass. A lovely little hebe, crocosmia clump and a giant saxifrage clump that I turned into several smaller ones from a friend of a friend of a friend! I recently got given a pink peony from someone who was paving over their front garden, so I'll see how that fares under my scant attentionimage

Great news that grot bag off star gaze image

Lesleyk is it difficult to do rose cuttings? Are they very successful? We have an Aldi opening near us end of the month and can not wait! I never knew they had garden section image

Victoria you're really lucky to have friends to do plant shares and no doubt plant swapping.  I've got good friends but none that are interested in their gardens so you can imagine how happy I am now that I have joined this forum. I thought I was weird as no one I know wanted to talk plants and gardens image Wish I had found you all years ago image

Ps I love the dead Plants shelf in the garden centres at the end of each season image

• Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge WearsidePosts: 3,169

Most of the people I acquired my plants off don't like gardeningimage I just nose around everyone's gardens when I visit and say, 'What are you doing with that?'

My sister describes them as 'weeds' and 'take as many as you like' and my friend didn't know the lupins were 'real plants'...

I love looking around people's gardens, just normal gardens, nothing grand, seeing what they have. No one ever asks to look round mine - perhaps it looks unnegotiable image

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 18,559

If you are ever down this way you would be most welcome to look around mine Victoria.image

Lovely rose, great bargain.

The best I can do for bargains is J.Parkers sales, I have some lovely shrubs and trees all 1.99 each.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• LesleyKLesleyK Posts: 4,029

Aldi have weekly bargains of all types of things you just have to keep an eye open for when they have plants. I've had some nice clematis from there too.  David K's rose thread is the best place to look for advice on rose cuttings.  I think they should be done in autumn but when I pruned mine in spring I just stuck a bit in the ground, forgot about it, and it grewimage.  Apparently it was just luck.

This forum is a brilliant place to see round other peoples gardensimage