Forum home Talkback

Novice needs help to cover unsightly wall

I am a total novice when coming to gardening all my plants are in pots as I have a lively cocker spaniel a cat and 2 small children. Last year we had a dry stone wall rebuilt and it look very pretty now but above that we have a breeze block wall which we have painted. I have planted some pyracantha in pots which sit on top of the dry stone wall to try and cover but they don't seem to be going far! I love the look of the wall so don't want to cover that some much just the wall above it! My lawn goes up to the lover wall there is no bedding area there, please any suggestions would be appreciated?

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 20,544

It sounds as if you need the type of plant that causes most people to complain- the leggy type that has nothing to say for itself lower down and is all show up at the top. A clematis planted into the ground (dig up a patch of lawn) might do this. With kids and animals around, you would need to protect the stems with a bit of pipe to stop the, getting broken.

Your pyracantha will not be happy in a pot. It likes to spread itself both above and below ground. It is a big plant, or should be.

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • LonglandsLonglands Posts: 4
    Thank you that was just the answer I was looking for pansyface I was unsure weather to dig up a bit of lawn, I had that in mind. How far apart would u plant the clamatis to get a good spread of cover? And do you know of any clematis that are hardier than others as I live very close to the sea and we are quiet exposed to aloy of wind?

What height and length is the dry stone wall and how much higher and longer than it is the breeze block wall?

Is the wall sunny or shady? Or a bit of both?

Clematis come in all sorts of sizes from miniature to huge.

A honeysuckle would do the same sort of thing, legs at the bottom and a lot of growth up above.

They both around 1 and a half meters high full sun till about 5pm at night

The height would easily be covered by a Clematis montana. They spread just about as far as you want them to so, unless the wall is extremely long, one would probably do. They come in various shades of pink or in white. Any clematis will need artificial support because they only have their leaf stalks to hold them onto other things. So you will have to put up some vine eyes and wires at different heights to train the stems  onto.

Clematis montana only flowers once, in the late spring, so you could plant one or more honeysuckles to extend the flowering time into the late summer.

Both of these plants are fully hardy and need very little maintenance but the wind could be a problem if they aren't kept well tied in.

Thank u so much!