my cucumbers are massive

Why are my cucumbers so large? Not long in length but fat and stubby, I have taken one of them off and it tasted very nice any advice please?

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 14,226

What sort are they? Some of the outside ones don't grow very long. But don't let them get too fat or the pips go hard.

Dordogne and Norfolk
  • Eat them small for flavour, and they will grow more fruits.

• paull2paull2 Posts: 93

I too prefer them small and 'nutty' flavoured rather than marrow-sized. My eternal problem is that they are often too bitter tasting, even with different varieties. Makes it difficult to give away some of the crop without embarrassment.

• Alan4711Alan4711 LincolnshirePosts: 1,572

Cant please some women image

• granmagranma Posts: 1,835

You say they are bitter Paul , do you grow f1 hybrids

(All female varieties ) ? 

These are a bit more expensive but you don't have to mess about taking off any flowers.I just leave them to grow lots of  fruits. I started off growing the others but found that if I missed just one flower that wanted to come off my cucumbers were bitter. 

I have grown  "munchkins"  this year ,it's recommend ed that they are picked around three inches. The plants produce loads ! 

So for the price of £ 3-50 for 5 seeds  to having had 35 cucumbers up to now it works out a fraction  of even a 45p  shop/ market bought cucumber.

• minxminx Posts: 1

my cucmbers are quite large but are still a yellow colour, will the turn green on the plant or should i remove them.

Marilyn

• Lupin 1Lupin 1 Posts: 8,916

Jean, I think you are probably growing a lunchbox variety cucumber.  Small chubby and image 

Marilyn, only time I have had yellowy cumbers has been when they have lacked  light, grown at the back of the plant and covered by leaves.

• granmagranma Posts: 1,835

Hi Marilyn, 

Cucumbers won't turn from yellow to green once picked.

Are you growing your cucumbers in a greenhouse? If so I am wondering if they are an out door variety.

Would it be possible to plant the whole plant pot as well outside.?

Last year I started mine off in the greenhouse and they were so vigorous two of us got it outside and planted it to just over the rim of the pot . The ones that were yellow did turn green on the plant.but I gave them a tomato feed once a week .