Forum home Talkback

Talkback: Help wildlife survive winter

• Zoomer44Zoomer44 Posts: 3,212

I've purposely left some area's of the garden, over winter, well alone and uncleaned. I'm sure there is an army of slugs and snails just waiting to appear come spring but the good guys need somewhere to spend the winter too. 

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Bunny ...Bunny ... Posts: 3,471
    My lab ate a fat ball at my brothers garden , I don't trust her not to eat anything I could put out so sadly I leave the feeding of birds to neighbours on each side , I make sure the pond and birdbath are ice free though .
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 69,058

Labs are related to Hoovers image  Ours would eat anything on the ground - we did manage to train him not to eat off the table or the cooker grill after he once snaffled a piece of steak that was on the pan waiting to go under the grill!image 

But if you put wild bird seed in a hanging feeder she couldn't get that image

Great that you're keeping the water ice free for them!  I'm struggling to do that in this garden.

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• I think I will plant a lot more berry bushes ,as I have watched many more birds in the pyracantha bush eating the berries and sheltering.(blackbird,thrush,and I thought I saw a fire crest )any how more bushes,water is a problem in how to keep it from freezing and putting seed and nuts out ,they seemed to have ignored.(even the squirrel.....)image

Hahaha yes a Hoover , as long as she doesn't chase the birds as always ...seems everything is suitable as a chase play mate , the poor pheasant visitor must be worn out ! ....off to check the water again was trying to freeze again earlier.
  • Hi, We have no shortage of birds round here, or squirrells or RATS! Behind my hubbies back ('you'll attract the rats!') I have been putting out food for the ground feeders, a lovely pair of blackbirds, dunnocks and, the gardener's best friend, a snail eating song thrush. Much to my horror a tunnel has erupted next to the food and I am desperately trying to hide it from my other half - not easy in bright, white snow. Has anyone out there overcome this problem?

Carly

We had a huge rat under our shed curlycarly , after watching it we noticed it was feeding on the scraps our neighbour was throwing other lawn.
  • Hi Bunnysgarden,

Yes, I've learnt my lesson, put some poison in the hole and filled it in and put the bird food on a plate out of reach of all but the birds and the squirrels. No sign of any more tunnels now so hopefully the problem is solved. I feel guilty about using poison and wouldn't use it on anything but the rats. We live by the canal so have to keep them in check.

• We have had cat problems for years now. I wish that all owners could fit them with bells to at least give some of the birds a chance. Fledglings will always find it difficult but it would let the adult birds know if they are being stalked. Is it true they used to cull magpies? There seems to be an ever growing number of these predators from one year to the next.