Forum home Plants

ID please

DyersEndDyersEnd Posts: 730

First, this one, which I transplated from a pot last year and now I have several.

Second, this one, my Mum had theses in her garden years ago but I've never known it's name.

I really like them both - flower like mad all summer and propagate themselves image

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,160

Lovelyimage

Linaria purpurea and Lychnis coronaria

• DyersEndDyersEnd Posts: 730

Thank you - I knew someone would know.  The Lychnis is growing in a corner overhung by a a large hazel tree in soil where previous owners had obviously tipped the ashes out of their fire.  What a trooper!

This is only my second summer here and much of the planting I've inherited is rather eccentric but these two are here to stay.  I think maybe I'll dig up one of each and put them in pots for a friend who has just discovered the joy of gardening and is spending a fortune on plants.

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,160

I love that lychnis

• the lychnis is abundant in my garden this year - it self seeds prolifically - but it often dies after flowering - easy to pull out and compost at that point and you'll have lots more where it originally grew.

The wild veronica is similar - very pretty and worthwhile if you are developing a new garden - self seeds everywhere but pulls out easily - just leave the ones you still want.

• DyersEndDyersEnd Posts: 730

Thank you gg, in my opinion they're both wonder-plants.  I've been transplanting them all over the place to fill in gaps and they don't seem to mind at all even when they're in full flower.