Forum home Talkback

Reviving a dying plant

Went to my local nursery a few weeks back and ended up buying a load of plants (had them buy one get another free so I had to.....)

In them were 2 x courgettes, these were wilted and pretty much dying, I drenched the ground, plenty of manure and have cared for them like my kids and pleased to say they are doing well! Love the satisfaction of reviving something others may throw away.

Did the same with a tray of sweetcorn, yes I was late planting it but they are all now thriving and hopefully will give me a harvest in time.

Love it! image

• some of my best and most interesting plants have arrived like this - I don't have the money to spend on expensive plants so gather seeds, take cuttings, and regularly check the chucky-out bin at the garden centre.

Keep at it - and don't worry if you are late planting - I had a wonderful crop of runner beans last year after planting seed in July when all around had planted at the right time and had little success.

• hogweedhogweed Central ScotlandPosts: 4,045

It's great to get a bargain - esp. for the garden!

'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller
  • SFordSFord Posts: 224

About 6-7 years ago I bought two tiny box cuttings from Asda for 99p each.  They are now large box balls planed on either side of a path.  Its taken a while but they look great.

I also buy alot of reduced price perennials from the garden centre in the autumn when they have finished flowering a look a bit scappy. 

• treehugger80treehugger80 Posts: 1,923

I bought a half dead, 6 inch tall, Japanese acer from B&Q about 10 years ago, this year its five feet tall and six feet across! I always have a look in the plant A&E at any garden centre you get some really good bargains.

• L BennettL Bennett Posts: 92

Great to read of other success stories, find it really rewarding to bring back a plant from dying. Half of my garden produce is likely from these type of plants ha but, it is cheaper and they produce just as well.