Forum home Plants

What is this pine bush/shrub?

bighevsbighevs Posts: 22

Hiya, I have this near my back door (+ a little pine thing to the right of it) and want to keep it on the smaller side, as I can see new growth atm. does anyone know what it is and how/when to prune it? (Sorry the picture is on it's side). Grateful for any advice! H 

• Invicta2Invicta2 Posts: 663

Not sure but it looks like a Juniper of some sort. They are in the Cypress family , which means you couldn't prune back beyond the green parts of the bush or you will kill it.

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 22,193

It looks likeone of the dwarf junipers but it doesn't really matter.   Conifers can be pruned or trimmed from spring to late summer to keep them tidy and to size.   I suggest you do a light trim now and then again next spring, after the worst frosts, and then again next summer if you need to.

Be careful not to cut back into brown wood as it will not grow new leaves.   With regular, light trims you can keep it to its current size.    Feed it with a general fertiliser such as bllod, fish and bone or pelleted chicken manure each spring to keep its growth healthy.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • bighevsbighevs Posts: 22

Brilliant! Thankyou very much for all your help! I will give it a gentle cut back. I've cleared a lot of weeds/mess from my new garden and was worried this may start taking over too- like the horrid grasses! 

Thanks again! 

• LiriodendronLiriodendron Scariff, County Clare, IrelandPosts: 6,340

Actually guys - I think the big one is a Picea (Spruce) - maybe Picea glauca 'Conica'.  The other, little one does indeed look like a juniper.  Not that it makes any difference to the accuracy of your advice...  image

"The one who plants trees, knowing that he will never sit in their shade, has at least started to understand the meaning of life."  Rabindranath Tagore
  • Invicta2Invicta2 Posts: 663

You could be right liriodendron, easiest way to check is to crush some foliage and smell it. Picea will have a resin like smell, Juniperus a strange smell some what like Gin.

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 22,193

That's because juniper seeds are used to flavour gin.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw