Forum home Talkback

Wallflowers didn't flower

I grew a large number of wallflowers from seed last autumn and planted them out in the late autumn. The plants came through the winter fine but have never flowered. They were supposed to flower with my tulips but I just have leaves, no flowers. Any advice welcome!

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 58,870

I wonder if they need a cold spell to trigger flowering - we didn't get one last winter - I'd leave them where they are, give them a dose of Fish Blood and Bone and hopefully they'll flower next spring. image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• LizzybusyLizzybusy Posts: 87

I grew about 120 wallflowers from seed. I have a very small garden. I planted them on West, North and East facing borders. The ones on the West facing flowered best, the North facing (but sunny in the afternoons as nothing to block the sun) some flowered some didn't and the East facing bed (most shade) did not flower at all. So could be lack of sun? Tulips (in same positions) did fine though!

It is very disappointing isn't it? I pulled all mine out after the flowering ones finished as they took up too much room in my little patch.

• steelealansteelealan Posts: 1

I brought some plug plants in august last year but did not plant them out until march this year they have become very bushy but as of 26th May no flowers.

Will they  eventually flower or am I wasting my time and should I rip them out to accommodate summer bedding plants ?

Last edited: 26 May 2017 22:30:22

• B3B3 Posts: 11,553

I would. Maybe you could put them somewhere out of the way and replant for next year.

In London. Keen but lazy.