Can you identify this?

Dear Forum Members,

This is springing up in more than one location and looks messy with its clusters of yellow flowers. Not a huge fan. what is it and how/when can I pulverise it? (or give it a Chelsea chop?)

Many thanks

Grateful Deadhead

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener LeicsPosts: 6,356

Lady's Mantle (Alchemilla mollis).  It can be a bit invasive but is useful in very shady areas.  If you decide to keep it, cut the flowers off after they fade or it will seed everywhere.  image

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICTPosts: 10,245

Alchmilla mollis or Lady's mantle. Dig it up, pull it up do your worst. It will still manage to self seed everywhere.

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • Crumbs. I fear it may come to do me in in the night. Its everywhere! I will see to it tomorrow. Really must get to bed now. Really appreciate your help/input this evening on several threads! Nite nite

The Grateful Deadhead

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICTPosts: 10,245

Goodnight children. Goodnight.image

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 42,788

Go and have a look at the leaves of your Alchemilla Mollis after a rain shower - you'll have a hard heart indeed if you don't warm to it then image

Gardening is cheaper than therapy, and you get tomatoes. 
  • It's a real beauty... I wouldn't be without it.image

• chickychicky SurreyPosts: 7,107

Love it tooimage

The Stone Age didn’t end because they ran out of stones ......
  • KEFKEF Posts: 8,915

I think it looks lovely with raindrops on but it is a devil to contol even if you attempt to remove flowers. Taken me ages to get rid of it, or I thought I had image but not so it's back.

Wish mine would spread a bit more image

• star gaze lilystar gaze lily Posts: 11,098

I love mine, Doves right when its rained or theres been a heavy dew, the leaves look so pretty. The flowers are great for filling out a vase of flowers too. Florists use it in bouquets sometimes. It does spread but its managable. I just dig a bit up and move it somewhere that needs filling. 

Yes Lily, some alchemilla in a jug with pink roses - gorgeous image

• It's prolific!   I've been fighting a losing battle with mine!  It's growing through the drive!

• hogweedhogweed Central ScotlandPosts: 2,498

It pops up everywhere in my garden even after I carefully pull all the flowers off it. Not sure if I class it as a thug or an angel!

'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller
  • To Everyone who has posted above -

First of all thank you for taking the time to reply and advise me.

Please do not take too much to heart my comments about pulverising the Alchemilla mollis . It is an attractive clump, yes, particularly after a rain , I just don't want too much repetition in our garden. My default position is 'pro-plant', but within reason!.

Many thanks kind people,

The Grateful Deadhead