Help re Wisteria support up a brick column

We have a veranda area with the first floor rooms supported on brick columns about 50cm x 50cm and 2.7m high. I want to train a wisteria up one of the columns (preferably flowering a bit as she rises) to the first floor then continue horizontally above and below the bedroom windows to han down over the veranda below.

2 questions.

what support do I install for the vertical section. Everything I read refers to horizontal wires from the start. Shall I install one vertical wire or short stretches (ie 40cm) horizontal wires every few feet up the pillar. if one vertical wire do I simply take one wire top to bottom or a number of vertical wires tied vine eye to vine eye.

second question is what length of vine eye should is use. I'm intending to screw these in to the column using rawl plugs as the brick is covered in render

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 16,214

I have strong reservations about planting Wisteria close to a house having sen one pull a veranda away from a house wall. They operate along the lines of a boa constrictor, constantly tightening their grip by twisting their stems around anything within reach. 

I would also check with a buildings surveyor to see if the plant would be considered to have a detrimental effect on any future surveys that might be done. 

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • JonnyRJonnyR Posts: 4

I may have described the structure not very well. It's not a wooden veranda in the traditional sense. The columns support the upper storeys. Don't know if it's too dark to see in the attached.

Thanks for any feedback

• Dave MorganDave Morgan Posts: 3,123

That looks to be painted pebbledash. You would have to be very careful as pebbledash has a tendancy to come away from the brickwork when the surface is broken. Water will get behind the exterior, which degrades the grip on the brickwork below. I've seen it done successfully using drilled holes larger than needed and with cemented anchors to hold the wire needed. Personally I'd be wary of it. Most anchoring is done straight into brickwork for something heavy like Wisteria. I'd go for a large climbing rose instead, as they aren't as heavy.

• JonnyRJonnyR Posts: 4

Thanks for the assistance. I was going to drill long holes through the pebble render into the bricks themselves and use rawlplugs perhaps even with some 2 part epoxy cement. But my question remains should I take the wire vertically up the column tying it to a vine eye every foot or so, should it be a single wire all the way or a single wire between two vine eyes, or should I construct a "ladder" of 50cm horizonal wires every foot or so or should I just use vine eyes up to the first floor, tying the man stem directly thereto before letting it spread horizontally along wires when we reach the first floor. Thanks

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 16,214

Whichever you choose the wisteria will do its King Kong act on it and your nice wires will look like Faye Wray in its mighty grip.

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • Dave MorganDave Morgan Posts: 3,123

I'd go with option one, a single stem leading up to the main show above. I'd also seal the exterior of the drilled holes with a waterproof exterior sealant to prevent water getting behind the render. You could add a clematis to hide the stem of the Wisteria, or leave it au natural with trimmed shoots from the Wisteria.