The blue 'Privacy settings' box in the bottom right corner is a new legal requirement under GDPR (General Data Protection Regulation). It can’t be dismissed or hidden as the idea is that it must be easy to access at all times should you wish to change your settings.

Do I harvest my Potatoes soon?

Our potatoes have been growing in a potato sack since mid-April. The plants themselves are getting really big (we've even had to tie some to a stake to hold the plants up). When do you reckon would be a good time to start harvesting? Not sure what variety they are so dont know if they are supposed to flower.

• WelshonionWelshonion Posts: 3,115

Definitely wait until they have flowered.  Dig around a bit until you find a few potatoes and see what size they are.  You can do this without removing them from the plant. 

There is nothing more disappointing than tipping out a plant to find a small collection of marbles. Leave them longer rather than sooner, they will still taste incomparable.

• Not all potatoes flower, so  that's not always a reliable guide. I agree, you could scrape away a little of the compost to see if you can find any of a suitable size....it's even got a name with the old gardeners...it's called a broggle or broggling.

It's worth noting that it takes between 10 &12 weeks for earlies to grow from planting to harvesting.